My car seems to be killing radios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My car seems to be killing radios

I've gone through three junkyard head units over the past few months, each of which stopped producing sound through the speakers inside of a week (still turn on and act otherwise normal). Anyone ever experience and issue like this before?
    —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Are you running factory type head units or aftermarket units?

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Factory. I'm pulling the 92+ units.

Edit: the original radio behaved the same way when I got the car. It would turn on, you could tune it, but no sound.
      —John

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)

Comment

check your battery voltage with the engine running. If its too high you could be cooking them.

Is this premium sound, standard, what? if its premium, there is an amplifier in the mix. If that is dicked it won't work. Also depending on the particulars, some of the newer stereos will not trigger the older amp. I know my 91 Mark VII JBL will not turn on with a 1993 radio. The Mark wants +12v to turn the amp on, the later radio puts out +5 or something.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Sorry about too little info. Wasn't sure what to post.

It's standard sound. I'll need to buy a multimeter before I check the voltage. It's on the list.
          —John

Comment

That seems to be the failure mode of those. I put the one from my 93 into the 88 and it worked for a grand total of 2 minutes before dying just that way. let the magic smoke out of the output drivers or the regulator driving them. They are old now and if they have sat for any real length of time, will definitely not like working.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

could be the caps in there dying and allowing the bias on the output devices to go to hell. Junked cars are probably the worst case for electronics. Disuse, heat, and age all combined. No bueno. I've got old stuff that was used regularly and it holds up, but electronics don't age amazingly well with no use.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
              X