No announcement yet.

Fuel Tank Lock Ring Wrenches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Technically the tank can be changed. There's some fab required for the lines and some wiring changes and I think you have to make new bolts with some all thread to take up the difference in the needed straps. The issue however is the sender resistance is reversed compared to the older level senders. Your fuel gauge will not work right. I also don't know of the sender can be un-mounted and flipped either. I'm not sure the end point resistance values are even the same. So you'd probably have to swap the sender over from the old tank by removing it from it's hanger and adding it to the new hanger. This is the main reason I've never seen this swap done.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

All things are possible, it just depends how much effort you want to put out for something that is rarely an issue. How many fuel pumps have you guys actually gone through? The original in my 86 was replaced somewhere around the 180K mark when the tank sprung a leak. It was working until the moment it was removed. The original pump in the Mark VII died around the 200K point on the previous owner. Honestly, even though dropping the tank is kind of a pain in the ass, its not something I expect to do often enough to justify re-routing lines and all that.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        All things are possible, it just depends how much effort you want to put out for something that is rarely an issue. How many fuel pumps have you guys actually gone through? The original in my 86 was replaced somewhere around the 180K mark when the tank sprung a leak. It was working until the moment it was removed. The original pump in the Mark VII died around the 200K point on the previous owner. Honestly, even though dropping the tank is kind of a pain in the ass, its not something I expect to do often enough to justify re-routing lines and all that.
        As i was typing the previous shit this crossed my mind. I've literally never had a fuel pump go bad, ever. So yeah, pretty much a moot point. Having a new fancy one put in when the motor goes in the car so that's just further out i don't have to worry about it.

Comment

Yeah...I would only do it if it were an availability/convenience thing (as with the 97 tank question I asked previously). If you have access to the parts and it helps achieve a goal, maybe figuring out the little details is worth it.

Just swapping the tank for ease of future pump replacements seems like a lot of work for no gain. Now, if it was a factory carb car (as is my 83) that you want to EFI, you're already replacing the tank anyway, so knowing what options are on the table is useful.

Current driver: Ranger
          Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
          | 88 TC | 91 GM
          Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
          Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
          | Junkyards

Comment

Sure, thats a different situation. If you have to change the tank and lines, why not make it easier to service while you're at it? You could also make an access panel and properly fit and seal it once the tank is out for future repairs. I usually don't go for the hole in the trunk because I'm useless with bodywork and it would look like a cybernetic beaver went at it when I was done. To be fair, most every non-original access hole I've ever seen added looks about the same. Done right, so it looked OEM, I have no problem with them.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Small bump.

Originally posted by kishy View Post
              The T74P tool is 100% a match for the LO03 lock ring used for our fuel gauge senders. This also confirms for certain that the shop manuals are wrong; whoever wrote those sections was given bad/unclear info. By the look of things online, this tool was also known as OTC #310-002 when not being sold just for a Ford application (the same lock ring was used in other vehicles too).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49268[/ATTACH]
              I've stumbled upon a new third party version of the T74P-9275-A tool for our (and others) fuel gauge senders. Found it on eBay here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/372889443998

This is a tool I've come to really appreciate having, so I'd definitely recommend others who have to go into fuel systems periodically consider getting one. It's also quite inexpensive at 17 USD.

Manufacturer page: https://buyacp.com/parts/fuel-tank-s...8-id-tl-fsu01/
              TL-FSU01 made by ACP
              Last edited by kishy; 06-24-2021, 07:46 PM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
              | Junkyards

Comment

Cool. I put it into my watch list. Maybe I get lucky and get a discounted price from seller while it waits there.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Alrighty, digging this one up from the depths to continue my hunt for specialty tools:

A quick recap:
                  Box Panther fuel tank lock rings exist in 3 variants:
                  • Cars with only one approximately 2" lock ring (Spectra LO03), used for the combo fuel gauge sender and fuel pickup tube.
                    This applies to 79-91 cars factory-built with carburetors, and the sending units vary by year and options.
                    The tool for this lock ring is Ford/OTC T74P-9275-A and an aftermarket/third party equivalent is ACP TL-FSU01.
                  • Cars with one approximately 2" lock ring the same as above used for the fuel gauge sender, and also one approximately 4" lock ring (Spectra LO04) used for the fuel pump hanger.
                    This applies to all of the factory EFI cars prior to M/Y 1990, and also wagons through M/Y 1991.
                    The tool for this lock ring is Performance Tool W80669
                  • Cars with one approximately 5" lock ring (Spectra LO13) used for the combo fuel gauge sender and fuel pump hanger assembly.
                    This applies to M/Y 90-91 factory EFI sedans (and also a few years of aeros).
                    The tool for this lock ring has remained a little unknown.

The 1991 shop manual talks about a tool - T86T-9275 - which I have now acquired (or, the T86T-9275-A version at least) and I can confirm it definitely isn't anywhere near correct for the LO13 lock ring. It might be for one of the vehicles with a plastic threaded lock ring, but I'm really not sure. So we're back to the drawing board on that one.

A clue I came up with in the past was:

That leaves the one outstanding lock ring wrench for my "collection" as the one for the 90+ lock ring. There is a reference I found in an Amazon review of the Performance Tool item that "Ampro T7014" (seems to really be T70114) fits the "larger" rings and the tool measures 6" across which seems to sound like a match...might take a gamble on one of those, but there aren't a lot of places selling it (if any?). It also looks like an identical twin of the Performance Tool wrench in which case it's not the right tool at all.
                  ​Putting a feeler out there...does anyone have a 92-95 shop manual? I'd appreciate you looking at the fuel tank related pages and trying to track down a tool number.

Other tools that I know exist, but don't know if they're right:
                  T88M-9275-A
                  Kent-Moore EN-48278

Last edited by kishy; 03-10-2024, 12:52 AM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                  | Junkyards

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post
                    Alrighty, digging this one up from the depths to continue my hunt for specialty tools:

A quick recap:
                    Box Panther fuel tank lock rings exist in 3 variants:
                    • Cars with only one approximately 2" lock ring (Spectra LO03), used for the combo fuel gauge sender and fuel pickup tube.
                      This applies to 79-91 cars factory-built with carburetors, and the sending units vary by year and options.
                      The tool for this lock ring is Ford/OTC T74P-9275-A and an aftermarket/third party equivalent is ACP TL-FSU01.
                    • Cars with one approximately 2" lock ring the same as above used for the fuel gauge sender, and also one approximately 4" lock ring (Spectra LO04) used for the fuel pump hanger.
                      This applies to all of the factory EFI cars prior to M/Y 1990, and also wagons through M/Y 1991.
                      The tool for this lock ring is Performance Tool W80669
                    • Cars with one approximately 5" lock ring (Spectra LO13) used for the combo fuel gauge sender and fuel pump hanger assembly.
                      This applies to M/Y 90-91 factory EFI sedans (and also a few years of aeros).
                      The tool for this lock ring has remained a little unknown.

The 1991 shop manual talks about a tool - T86T-9275 - which I have now acquired (or, the T86T-9275-A version at least) and I can confirm it definitely isn't anywhere near correct for the LO13 lock ring. It might be for one of the vehicles with a plastic threaded lock ring, but I'm really not sure. So we're back to the drawing board on that one.

A clue I came up with in the past was:

​Putting a feeler out there...does anyone have a 92-95 shop manual? I'd appreciate you looking at the fuel tank related pages and trying to track down a tool number.

Other tools that I know exist, but don't know if they're right:
                    T88M-9275-A
                    Kent-Moore EN-48278

According to the Official 1993 GM Service Manual, the Fuel Tank Sending Wrench is T74P-9275-A. They also list D84P-9275-A. Hope this helps!
                    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post

According to the Official 1993 GM Service Manual, the Fuel Tank Sending Wrench is T74P-9275-A. They also list D84P-9275-A. Hope this helps!
                      Thank you, it does and it doesn't.
                      It tells us that Ford never updated that information in the manual because neither of those two wrenches were used after model year 91, and it doesn't tell us about the tool needed for the 1990+ lock ring.

95 seems to be when they move to a bolt-in sending unit with no lock ring, so the last chance for a manual to mention the 90-94 tool would be a 94 manual. I strongly suspect it'll say the same thing as your 93 book.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                      | Junkyards

Comment

The '95 Service Manual lists the same "D84P" tool as well. Not sure what all they were doing but that is what is listed. As you say, the '95, at least, has bolts for the pump.

Comment

93 says D84P-9275-A for the wrench

ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/395123631715

94 says T74P-9275-A for the wrench - even has a picture that looks like a drop angle wrench that has gaps for every upward tooth of the lock ring except for one allowing for a gap to get around the fuel lines.

ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/113747598943
                          Last edited by sly; 03-10-2024, 11:35 PM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                            93 says D84P-9275-A for the wrench

ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/395123631715

94 says T74P-9275-A for the wrench - even has a picture that looks like a drop angle wrench that has gaps for every upward tooth of the lock ring except for one allowing for a gap to get around the fuel lines.

ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/113747598943
                            That's the problem. The D84P tool is the same as the Performance Tool clone, and I have it. It fits the fuel pump hanger on the EFI boxes before 90/the wagons all the way through.
                            The T74P tool fits the gauge sender.

Neither is the right size for the 90-94 lock ring. The manual is wrong and it's a misprint that I can confirm exists in the 91 book, and we know also the 93 and apparently 95 books too.

I'm chasing a couple OTC part numbers that might get me there - will report my findings.
                            Last edited by kishy; 03-10-2024, 11:42 PM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                            | Junkyards

Comment

Fun. I just use a screwdriver and hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                                Fun. I just use a screwdriver and hammer.
                                That was my original take. Been doing that, for a VERY long time, without many issues.

Comment

Working...
                                X