Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok boys update time!
    Pulled out my Fluke DMM and here are some numbers:
    Car before being started:......11.91 Volts. Car started up immediately upon turning the key....no crank crank crank needed!
    Upon starting DC Volts running was between 14.6 and 14.73 Volts. No load.
    Car running with headlights on 14.49.
    Car running with lights on and heater blower motor on high: 13.60 -13.80 Volts
    Car running with just heater motor on high: 14.3 Volts
    After shut down battery tests at 12.55 Volts.
    All tests effectuated with car at curb idle, I understand if someone was feeding some gas the numbers would have been slightly higher.
    Bottom line:
    Alternator is good, but as the battery is 2.5 years old, I guess I will have to get a new battery and not have to dick around with this shit when the temps really go down into the single digits.

Comment

Car is 1986 5.0 EFI. Alternator was replaced about 25 years ago with a FoMoCo reman, no Cardone shit for me I learned.
      Disconnected the rear defog switch,, as this is the third one, they all suck and start to drain even when off.

Comment

Car is 1986 5.0 EFI. Alternator was replaced about 25 years ago with a FoMoCo reman, no Cardone shit for me I learned.
        Disconnected the rear defog switch,, as this is the third one, they all suck and start to drain even when off.

Comment

normal should be 12.4-12.6 with vehicle off.
          11.9 is showing a single weak cell or low charge. I know I've driven my vehicles and had no issues with one weak cell. When the second cell gets weak, then you'll have even more issues.

Driving around for 10-20 minutes once every other week will keep a battery charged typically if there's no electrical parasites in the system. With the switch issues and parasitic losses, if a good drive doesn't get it charged back up, then weak cell it is.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

normal should be 12.4-12.6 with vehicle off.
            11.9 is showing a single weak cell or low charge. I know I've driven my vehicles and had no issues with one weak cell. When the second cell gets weak, then you'll have even more issues.

Driving around for 10-20 minutes once every other week will keep a battery charged typically if there's no electrical parasites in the system. With the switch issues and parasitic losses, if a good drive doesn't get it charged back up, then weak cell it is.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thain the car came with a 64 battery.

Comment

From the factory or when you bought the car?
                What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

I'm happy with your voltage readings. Your low battery voltage has already been covered.
                  While you where out there did you do any quick voltage drop tests on the wires? (batt + to alt output, bat - to alt case)

Comment

From the factory when new.

Comment

No additional tests, some A-hole in an SUV attempted to do a U turn on the street and his bumper pushed in a portion of the drivers side Q-panel.
                      Living in NYC is a giant Gulog:-(

Comment

45 degrees this morning, turned key, car started immediately????

Comment

Working...
                        X