Bluetooth in a stock 80s head unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bluetooth in a stock 80s head unit

A couple weeks ago I mentioned that I had gotten a working Bluetooth solution in a stock radio, and would eventually do a thread. This is that.

Mostly this is going to be a video where I babble a lot but here are some closer pics of things I mention in the video.

The actual modules in use. Bluetooth is an MH-M18. Can find these on ebay, and there are a couple others that look just like it which I'm sure will work just fine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230629_204704.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	1389782 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230629_204709.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	1389784

this is the op amp module
    https://www.amazon.com/NE5532-Microp...dp/B0BY5BHKZ1/

Anything with a gain of about 5 that will run from a single rail power supply will work. Output from the BT module is about 0.25 volts peak to peak, the radio needs about 1.2v for normal output level. This one can be adjusted for more gain but stock its fine.

This is the muting board with arrows indicating where the traces get sliced

Name:	muting board view.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	961.6 KB
ID:	1389785

and the actual board itself with the connections made and the traces cut

Name:	20230629_204641.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	1389786

Schematic of the CD version

Name:	CD version schemtic.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	728.0 KB
ID:	1389787

and schematic of the tape version for comparison.

Name:	tape version schematic.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	520.5 KB
ID:	1389788

There is no specific schematic for the non-tape version, but I have every reason to believe this would work fine in one of those. There would be the option of using either the CD or tape input, no idea if there is any real advantage to one over the other.

Name:	logic chart.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	214.6 KB
ID:	1389789

and the video

https://youtu.be/oQAgrl9p7oY
    Attached Files
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Portrait mode video.

Flip the phone over before hitting record, takes about 2 seconds and the video can be watched widescreen, not to mention you can get much more in the frame and there aren't any black bars on the sides of the screen when watching. Or am I the only one who watches any type of video with a widescreen and not their phone these days?
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Cool. Thanks for addressing the shielding question I had lingering in my head near the end of your video. Was much curious about how it would work once all buttoned back up in its normal configuration. You aint getting 20' away while driving the car so like you said it should all work out fine.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

yea the phone was going the wrong way but its too clunky to hold, operate, and keep my phone cover out of the way with one hand going that way, so you're just gonna have to deal with it.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
        X