86 Radio JBL to Standard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

86 Radio JBL to Standard?

Traded a friend a newer radio for this one, as he needed the newer one for his 88 LTC.

My friend thought this came from an 86 LTC.

I'd like to use it in a car not equipped with premium sound. Will this work in such an application?

The car in question isn't a Panther, but the 87 Tbird my parents bought new. The original dealer claimed Ford had a radio shortage and shipped the car sans radio. They installed a Blaupunkt unit but it just doesn't look the part, even though it's been in the car since day 1. They botched the wiring too, so I am not worried about plugs matching up.
    Attached Files
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Needs an amplifier. On their own they have no power amplifier onboard and will not drive a speaker. They will drive certain 4 channel premium sound amps but not others, a JBL amp of course, or you can modify it to have RCA jacks and feed an aftermarket amp.

reason only some premium sound amps, some of them have a 10 ohm load resistor. It won't drive that. Others have a 1k and it'll do fine with that. I have no idea why some got one and some got the other, or which applications got what without looking it up. A lot of premium sound amps are only 2 channel. It'll drive it but of course you only get front speakers since the rear speaks would have run from the head unit.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That was my concern, that it needed an amp. Guess I'll throw it in the stash in case a premium sound car comes into my life and needs a head unit. I really prefer the look of a stock radio.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
      X