Black Vinyl Trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Vinyl Trim

I just got a '90 Grand Marquis LS (92,000 miles) that is in great condition. One of the items that needed some detailing was the wide black vinyl strips that extend down the sides from the black trim on the front and rear bumpers. The black strips on the doors were fine but the strips on the front and rear quarter panels were faded and discolored to a milky gray color.
    I found a product called "Forever Black - Bumper & Trim Cleaner and Reconditioner" and used it yesterday. It did a beautiful job. Easy and quick.
    The product has a 4 oz bottle of cleaner that you mix with a gallon of water and use to clean and prep the vinyl first. Then you apply the black liquid dye to the vinyl using the small square sponge that is attached to the plastic squeeze bottle. According to the manufacturer, this "permanently dyes all plasitcs with the same chemicals that the manufacturers use".
    It dries in about 20 minutes to a real nice even coat of black. If you want a glossier finish you can add additional coats. Make sure you use masking tape so that you don't get any of the dye on the paint. However, it wiped right off of the narrow stainless strip that is imbedded in the vinyl strips on my car.
    I bought the product at AutoZone and I think it was less than $10. More than enough to do several cars. Works on rubber too.

Don

Cool thanks for the tip!
    '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
    '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

That's good stuff
      1987 LTD CROWN VICTORIA, 5.0 EFI, MAGNAFLOW DUAL EXH, RED LANDAU
      FRESH AOD, 3.27 OPEN DIFF, 57K MILES, B&M SHIFT KIT AND R134A A/C

Comment

Working...
      X