1990 GM -- power antennae replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1990 GM -- power antennae replacement?

The power antennae on the '90 is broken off at the bottom and is pretty much just setting in the hole, attached by the retractor cable. What does it take to replace the power antennae? It looks like a mighty tight squeeze in that corner. Can't even get my hand in there. Would it be easier to just put a non-power antennae on? Either way, anyone want to sell me a replacement? I'm not going to the local rip-off yards.

ive done 2 of em on our cars sofar, i jus take a couple bolts off from the inner fender, then pull it back a bit, then you have room to get at the bolt that holds the motor and unplug it, then take the chrome nut off from the top of the fender, its got slots, so i use a brass punch and hammer to loosen it, pretty straight farward

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Which bolts? The ones on the fender above the antennae motor or somewhere down low?

Comment

the big chrome nut on the very top of the housing and there is only one bolt down bellow, some people are able to get their hands between the fender and the fan hosing under the hood to loosten the bolt and get the anntena out...someone should have a pic

Comment

Cool. Thanks, man.

Comment

I pulled the inner fender out of the 89 Vic when I pulled it's power antenna. Tried 2 antennas, neither had working FM reception though the motors functioned. Tossed them both and installed a standard whip antenna, works much more better.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

How is the antennae hooked to the motor? Can a new antennae be put on the old motor, or is it all one unit?

Comment

i belive you can just replace the mast, but dont know the cost

Comment

Is the mast just pushed onto the motor? I wonder if I could just bend the antenna straight on the bottom and get it to press back in.

Comment

Working...
                  X