Doors rattlinh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doors rattlinh

Was driving around in ThatOneGirl's GM this weekend and was again reminded of a particularly annoying habit it has. Both front doors rattle and clunk rather dramatically. Its definetly not just the interior panels rattling. Pretty sure its the whole door shell. Is there an easy adjustment to the door I can do to tighten them up? Or is she gonna need new hinges?

Thanks y'all

The Admiral

Check the door striker on the B-pillar of the car. That bolt sticking out should have a plastic shroud around it and if it doesn't the doors will rattle. I know my zephyr had that problem. You can steal the ones off another car or try and move the bolts inward to close tighter.
    -Matt
    1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

Thanks amigo. I'll check that out tonight after work. Now that we put the X-pipe you gave us, back on the car, I dont want any annoying rattles and clunks to mar that purdy sound heh.

Comment

Originally posted by nitroracer View Post
        Check the door striker on the B-pillar of the car. That bolt sticking out should have a plastic shroud around it and if it doesn't the doors will rattle. I know my zephyr had that problem. You can steal the ones off another car or try and move the bolts inward to close tighter.
        Can you also do that to bring the door closer to the weatherstripping? 'Cause I think I have a sealing problem. I am going to try some actual Vic Weatherstripping. And then go from there if it doensn't work. Anyway, it looks
        like both the front driver and passenger side doors could be closer. Does that sound right? How do I do this? Please, this is the only thing I am wrried about right now.

Comment

If the plastic is there and good, loosen the bolt, move it in a little, and tighten it down.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Make sure it is centered vertically to the latch. Then play with it back and forth to see what closes better. Don't slam the door without seeing if it will close first by lightly closing it. I got mine to close w/ a stiff breeze.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
              Can you also do that to bring the door closer to the weatherstripping? 'Cause I think I have a sealing problem. I am going to try some actual Vic Weatherstripping. And then go from there if it doensn't work. Anyway, it looks
              like both the front driver and passenger side doors could be closer. Does that sound right? How do I do this? Please, this is the only thing I am wrried about right now.
              Where did you get the CV weather stripping from? My ma's CV doesn't leak yet, but I am anticipating the day that it will. Thanks in advance for any help in this matter.
              Packman

Comment

Okay I am going to try a Ford Taurus door latch. Some are able to work right? Or should I just go with purely vic stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
                  Where did you get the CV weather stripping from? My ma's CV doesn't leak yet, but I am anticipating the day that it will. Thanks in advance for any help in this matter.
                  Packman
                  it wasn't Vic weatherstripping, it was Taurus. It looks like it has the same thickness. The only thing is is that it is a little shorter than the vics. But it fits just the same. And if you do decide to take off/change the weatherstripping, Be sure to take the dash pad off before you remove the trim pieces running down the sides. otherwise, they'll break. The side trim is metal, held by clips. but you also have to remove the trim covering the seatbelt stuff. Do that. For weatherstripping, you should check out JC Whitneys online. Or go to a u-pull-it and take it off of a vic/towncar/grandmarq. Also take the small weatherstripping that is behind the metal trim. To do this, you'll need a pry bar. A small one, and keep your eye on the little metal clips that are on the trim. You need to put them back on the way they were or you won't be able to get the trim to stay on. Some of it you have to move the metal clips because they won' match up with the replacment weatherstripping. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the information!!!
                    Packman

Comment

No problem!

Comment

I got some duct tape and rolled it around the door striker. It works just as well as a new one. And less costly too.

Comment

'89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
                          '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                            I got some duct tape and rolled it around the door striker. It works just as well as a new one. And less costly too.
                            I used a bit of butyl sound deadening and electrical tape, it worked great!

Electrical tape by itself will work to, it will look nicer than duct tape too. Just make sure you wrap it around like 5 or 6 times. Clean the striker off well before you put it on as well.

Comment

You know they sell these things in the Help! section of autozone, advance and wherever else...Tape isn't gonna hold up long...
                              '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
                              '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Working...
                              X