ripping off vinyl...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ripping off vinyl...

i plan on ripping the vinyl off and in place of the vinyl painting it black. i thought i would take a before pic just to show how it is before i get started and take pictures as i make progress.

this picture, if you look just above the window, you can see the brown of rust bleeding thru.
    Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Why not match the other paint on the car? Look at Tiggie's thread

Comment

Originally posted by saiyaneye View Post
      Why not match the other paint on the car? Look at Tiggie's thread
      http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=16766
      +100

Also, get the chrome trim off a P71...
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

i dont want a solid color car. i noticed that it has been painted before and the top has been redone. just as i suspected, it has holes from rust.

the seems werent that bad. just by the back window was all the rust.

Comment

That sucks about the rust. I wouldn't weld on that though as more then likely you will warp the shit out of the roof. What we do in school is get on the backside and make a patch. Then use panel adhesive (actually stonger then welds) and glued it on from the backside. Then used an aluminum filler cause it is waterproof and then finish it with regular polyester filler.

Are you going black where the vinyl was or the whole roof? I think it will look good.
          2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

i would focus on the way the car runs rather than they way it looks..
            RIP DENNIS BARTLETT 1-13-2009

Comment

:lol: How true, that's how i'd do it.
              88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
              Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

i bought aircraft stripper and stripped it down, used an orbital sander, and waiting for tomorrow to put second coat of filler. i will get pics after i get second coat of filler and have it sanded and primed to see how you guys think it looks so far. next weekend is gonna be motor prep for trip to SF.

Comment

here are some updated pics...i need to get a couple spots filled just a lil bit more and sand them. it doesnt look that bad now as it did yesterday when i ripped the vinyl off. i need to put more primer on the roof still since i took pics between coats.
                  Last edited by 87_crown_vic; 06-25-2007, 03:58 PM.

Comment

since scott thought i was wearing a dress....i was wearing light colored jeans and i dont know about you but i can see a belt. kinda difficult to stand on the trunk to begin with when a person has a full leg brace on let alone getting on the trunk.

Comment

nice man boobs
                      RIP DENNIS BARTLETT 1-13-2009

Comment

Nice man! I would go the same color as body, but if you want the two tone look, I would go with some chrome trim where the old trim was it may look funny w/o.

Comment

Nice progress - keep it up.
                          -Matt
                          1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

i was thinking a pinstripe of some sort. and i was also thinking of doing the whole top but keeping the crown now...undecided. i think to keep hail dents from being as noticable to use bedliner...plus i could haul lighter items up there and not worry about scratching the roof. i am deciding what i wanna do up top.

Comment

Looks great, you don't mess around!!
                              1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Working...
                              X