Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic View Post
    Same reason I painted mine...looks.
    I'm asking why you would paint an aluminum, stud girdle for the rear. Those have nice "looks" already. I know why people paint the metal and aluminum... for the same reason you and I did.

Also, I'd say get the rust off anyway yuou can. If its flaky, wire brush it, then sand it a little. It'll probably be pitted, but that'll be fine. You could build the pits with some thick primer if you were that anal. If you want to make sure its clean just wipe it down with lacquer thinner. That or pre kleano (pre paint wipe down).
    Doesn't have to be beautiful... just some color. Its under the car remember.
    Last edited by P72Ford; 08-30-2007, 05:07 PM.
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Just wanted to post some pics I took while I had the cover off. Everything seems to look fine except for one nick on the edge of the gear. The cover is painted and ready, it's pretty heavily pitted but I don't mind. I also picked up the Permatex Ultra black to use with the Felpro gasket. Should have some finished shots up tonight.
      Attached Files
      sigpic
      1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
      Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Did you use synthetic oil in the rear end?

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
        1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
        But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          ... but the cover on my Chevy rusted through and started leaking without ever being touched.
          Not surprising at all.
          1987 LTD CROWN VICTORIA, 5.0 EFI, MAGNAFLOW DUAL EXH, RED LANDAU
          FRESH AOD, 3.27 OPEN DIFF, 57K MILES, B&M SHIFT KIT AND R134A A/C

Comment

Nope, just the regular Valvoline stuff. I get paranoid about leaks starting after switching to synthetic after so long so I just left well enough alone. Maybe next trip it'll get synthetic along with some new seals.
            sigpic
            Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

6th pic looks kinda iffy.
              Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Can I ask how so? I noticed that little goober on the gear afterwards, but the cover & gasket were back on so thats my friend in there now. Are you saying that the gears look to be in bad shape?
                sigpic

Comment

no the gear looks great to me, its just the chunks of shit that i noticed mainly.
                  Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

hey you should put plates of steel under your jackstands......i had a car fall on me once doing that......luckilly i scooted out from under teh car in time

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by cld783 View Post
                      no the gear looks great to me, its just the chunks of shit that i noticed mainly.
                      Yea, I saw those after and its in the odd spot I couldn't really see (Held the camera up by the gas tank looking down). Next time I'll definitely look a little closer.

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
                      hey you should put plates of steel under your jackstands......i had a car fall on me once doing that......luckilly i scooted out from under teh car in time
                      Yea, I usually use a wood block or something because I don't like the stands scratching the the frame and of course for more stability. My favorite is the car lift but that takes a little more setup time.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 86GmLsCoupe View Post
                        I also picked up the Permatex Ultra black to use with the Felpro gasket.
                        I read once that it isn't a good idea to use the gasket (I believe it was in a 5.0 Mustang mag). I've heard the gasket will dry out, shrink, crack and deform allowing the diff to leak. Anyone else heard or know of this?

I just used some real good RTV. No leaks and its been quite a while. It was wet under there before (with the gasket). However, a combo of gasket and sealer should keep you covered.
                        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

When I put mine together I used the paper gasket that came with it and RTVed it on both sides. No leaks yet, but of course it hasn't been together all that long, either.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MN View Post
                            When I put mine together I used the paper gasket that came with it and RTVed it on both sides. No leaks yet, but of course it hasn't been together all that long, either.
                            How do those 3.55's treat you on the highway? MPG suffer much? Sorry to get off topic.

Comment

Sending PM to prevent jackification...

Comment

Yea, I was debating on the whole gasket at first and I assumed there was one on there originally. When I took the cover off, just black RTV, though it's been leaking from the bottom for years now. I used the Ultra Black instead of the regular Blue I picked up (never a bad idea to have one laying around anyway). The directions for the Ultra Black are different from the blue in that you go back and retorque, and it said just apply to one side (I did the cover). The Ultra Black is the better one and it's a certified substitute for Ford & GM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X