Over-Waxing??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over-Waxing??

So my fiancee likes to put a fresh coat of wax on her '97 grand marquis about every other time she washes it. (uses turtle wax ice liquid) Last weekend her grandfather advised her that she shouldn't wax her car but once every six months, that she's "over-waxing" and it isn't good for the paint. I think he's wrong and told her she could wax it whenever she feels like it as long as the car is clean and she isn't rubbing in dirt. What do you guys think?

Also, I was waxing my '07 a couple weeks after I bought it and my dad told me I shouldn't have, that you're supposed to wait 6 months until you wax a new car. Searched online and what I found said that applied to cars many years ago but cars these days can be waxed right away. Any opinions on this?

Forgive me if this kind of question has been posted a lot before, remember I'm just a stupid n00b....

Paint has to cure for a few weeks to a month... I don't think it'll hurt anything. With the amounts of pollutants and stuff, the more protection the paint is gonna need.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

my take on it, the old paste waxes had a tendancy to last longer, thus the 6 month every waxing. Every spring and fall.
      The newer liquid squeeze waxes don't last as long, so it's fine to do it every other washing, depending on how often she washes it.
      I havn't had a good squeeze last near as long as a good pasting.
      1987 Country Squire LX Wagon 5.0L: Daily Ride......1964 Lincoln Continental 430ci: Toy #1.
      1984 F-250 4x4 4.9L: Toy #2.............................1968 Volkswagen Bug 2.0L: Toy #3.
      1989 F-250 4x4 5.8L: Emergency backup and work truck...

Comment

Like Mike said, a few weeks to a month is all it needs to cure. It will spend most of that time in transport and at the dealer lot, so it's normally safe to clay and wax it once it's home.

If she is using that ice polish, let her do it as much as she wants. That stuff has virtually no abrasive properties at all, and will just start to layer. Same applies for any 'pure wax' (meaning a wax with no abrasives (requiring some prep before hand on most cars)) - like Meguiar's deep crystal #3 wax, or Mirror Glaze #26, which is my personal favorite.

Over-waxing/polishing is more of a concern when using products which contain
        abrasives, like a CLEANER/wax, paint cleaner, scratch remover, swirl remover, etc. These should not be used too often, as you are removing material from the finish every time you use them.
        If the car is used a lot, or sits outside, I definitely wouldn't go 6 months.
        My Merc gets waxed at least once a month (sometimes twice), but I don't polish or use abrasives every time so this is fine.
        -My Homepage, Panther info & FAQs-
        My Mint 96' Mercury Grand Marquis LSE -
        Modifications
        Click My Merc for more Pics!

Comment

The brand new cars you can wax right away though I'd clay them from the dealer lot as they tend to sit sometimes. The cars in the factory are baked during assembly so they are ready to go, and like drock said, they are in transport for a bit. If your girlfriend likes to wax the car often, the auto body store told me about this stuff called Fast Wax (Carnuba) that goes on and off easily, looks great, but has slightly lower longevity. That should help with any buildup issues though I doubt there'd really be any. So long as she's not using a polish or cleaner wax, then she's not removing any paint at all.
          sigpic
          1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
          Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

hmm...a womang that likes to wax an Aero MGM?

where can I pick these up?

hmm...I would say she's doing it a bit much...but since its only liquid wax, I suppose its alright...I would only wax it about once a month at max personally, but I make sure to really do a great job...and I'm going to start using cleaner wax...so I think I'l be waxing every 2-3 months from now on...or whatever I deem necessary.
            sigpic
            1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

4 months for paint to cure or a 120 days for people that cant do the math.lol Solvent is still going to come out of a ureathane paint jobs until then. If you wax it you seal it up and the solvent will stay in there causing the paint to pop off. Never seen in happen but that is the rule of thumb to go by in the industry anyway.
              2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

Working...
              X