Starting October 15th...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting October 15th...

I'll be starting my autobody classes at Baran Institute of Technology. I'll also be taking the additional "Custom Plus" program that will teach me how to do custom body panel fabrication and other autobody cliches such as flames, ghosts, skulls, ribbons, marble, etc.

Maybe I can be the next Boyd Coddington, Chip Foose, or similar overrated autobody tool. :p

www.baraninstitute.com The car on the front page ('38 Mercury, I think?) was completely built by BIT students. The Automotive mechanics classes did the motor/transmission/etc. while the autobody and custom plus programs did the body work and paint.

When I went to check out the school, some of the more notable vehicles I spotted were a '60 Corvette being primed, '69 Charger stripped to the bare unibody on one of those big body swivel things, early 70's A-body with no nose or motor, an early 70's Nova turned dragcar (with at least 13" wide tires in the back) being painted in one of their four paint booths, a buttload of old bikes, and an '88-'91.5 LTD Vic up on one of their 6+ car lifts.

Their paint booths can bake a car in five minutes.

I'm also being supplied four about $4k worth of Snap-On tools (so basically a tool box and a wrench set :p) and uniforms.

This is going to be interesting.
    Last edited by CheeseSteakJim; 09-20-2007, 12:44 PM.

That sounds like a lot of fun. If I should decide to do a ground up resto on my ma's CV, I'll know who to bother:leghumper:.

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSteakJim View Post
      I'm also being supplied four about $4k worth of Snap-On tools (so basically a tool box and a wrench set :p)
      Ain't it the truth!!!!! lol

Actually I shouldn't complain since I got a big fat discount through the school, but it still seemed like an awful lot for what I got!

Anyway, good luck mang, and take some pix of what you're doing if you can. We're always interested in seeing the fruits of others' labor.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
      1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
      But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSteakJim View Post
        I'll be starting my autobody classes at Baran Institute of Technology.
        Newberry Road in East Windsor? Thats about 10 minutes from my house.

I had a friend who went there for automotive, and another who goes there for HVAC. Seems like a good school. Best of luck.
        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Good Luck with it mang!If you decide to do it professionally there is alot of money in bodywork.In my experience damn near every customer that comes through the door wanting a decent amount of bodywork done,gets there wallet completely reamed out.

I'm actually gonna be starting up my own Local Custom Bodyshop sometime in the next 5 years,which will specialize in Custom Body Modification and Metal-Level Collision Repair,Body Filler will only be used in my shop in the form of Glazing Putty.I've begun saving up the $$$$$ I will need now.I'm gonna work it myself until it gets off the ground,then I'm gonna hire more professional people.I can't wait,I'm sick of working for other people.

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
            Newberry Road in East Windsor? Thats about 10 minutes from my house.

I had a friend who went there for automotive, and another who goes there for HVAC. Seems like a good school. Best of luck.
            That's the one. I didn't realize you lived so close.

Originally posted by Custom87 View Post
            Good Luck with it mang!If you decide to do it professionally there is alot of money in bodywork.In my experience damn near every customer that comes through the door wanting a decent amount of bodywork done,gets there wallet completely reamed out.

I'm actually gonna be starting up my own Local Custom Bodyshop sometime in the next 5 years,which will specialize in Custom Body Modification and Metal-Level Collision Repair,Body Filler will only be used in my shop in the form of Glazing Putty.I've begun saving up the $$$$$ I will need now.I'm gonna work it myself until it gets off the ground,then I'm gonna hire more professional people.I can't wait,I'm sick of working for other people.
            Hey I hear ya man. I wanna do the same thing eventually.

Originally posted by Nathan in MN
            Anyway, good luck mang, and take some pix of what you're doing if you can. We're always interested in seeing the fruits of others' labor.
            I'll try to take some pictures. I'm sure I'll be doing some interesting stuff with some interesting cars. I'm considering buying my own antique resto to work on at school... instead of my disgraceful '85 F-series. :p

Comment

Congrats man. I am loving it at my tech school. So you only get suppiled with the tools? We get discounts and we buy the tools then we can take them with us when we graduate.
              2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

good luck! i am re training myself in auto body repair right now hehe......wonder how crappy my first overall paint job will be (my dads car)

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by zwack88 View Post
                  Congrats man. I am loving it at my tech school. So you only get suppiled with the tools? We get discounts and we buy the tools then we can take them with us when we graduate.
                  Nah man, I'm getting the same deal you're getting. The money comes out of my tuition, and we get something to the tune of $8,000 of credit with Snap-On where we can buy anything we want from them at wholesale price. My friend (who just graduated as a valedictorian at Baran) talked to the Snap-On service rep a while back and found out that his discount on tools is better than the rep's!

Comment

Working...
                  X