Hood lift shocks..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hood lift shocks..

I saw a 84 Ford T-bird at the show and shine Saturday night, and he has installed some lift shocks to get rid of the dreaded "prop rod"... My question is, has anyone done this conversion on a fox body car like a T-bird or Mustang? I was just wondering if anyone has, what shock part number they used, since I want to make sure it holds the hood up, and don't want to go thru like 15 of them to get the right size to hold the hood... He mounted one of the brackets for the shock using one of the hood hinge bolts... so no new holes drilled, then the other end he either found some brackets on a car, or had them made.. (Altho they look factory) Then he mounted them just in front of the strut mount tower, on the side of the fender well...

This is the bottom bracket, can anyone identify what this bracket may come off of? It looks like a automotive bracket for something, he may have even found this on an original hood lift shock equiped car... He said his mechanic got the lift shock for a caddy of some sort, so maybe that is what the bracket is off of???

Top bracket... he either got a bracket off of another car, and then just pulled the bolt out, slid it under neath it, then bolted it back down, or made a bracket....

If anyone can help with info on this, i would greatly appreciate it! Tom...

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
    Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Town-cars from certain years had those. I pulled a pair of an 89 today, i cant remember what kind of bracket they had, i know the bottom half slid onto a pin, but dont know how the pin was held on. Maybe someone here with a TC can help you out though.

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
    1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
    1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

One or two years of the fox based lincolns had those stock.
      They are supposed to fit other fox models though.
      I am sure the actual brackets and such will be hard to find, but it might give you something to try looking up the right lift shock.
      Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
      AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
      Open/Lock/Ratio #
      -----------------------
      G / H / 2.26
      B / C / 2.47
      8 / M / 2.73
      7 / - / 3.07
      Y / Z / 3.08
      4 / D / 3.42
      F / R / 3.45
      5 / E / 3.27
      6 / W / 3.73
      2 / K / 3.55
      A / - / 3.63
      J / - / 3.85

Comment

I want to install some lifts on my trunk, do you think if I install strong enough lifts I will have no need for torsion bar. (my trunk lid is like 2 times as heavy too because of my sound deadening)

Comment

look at ford tourus's....they may have them......or even a fox mustang hatch.....they got em too......the Lil shocks where out so I would get new ones....just use the old ones for fitment
          YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

I've been planning on trying this for awhile,to hopefully get rid of the unsightly hood torsion springs.Gonna source all the parts off a late model TC,should work with a little fabrication.

Comment

Originally posted by FatNasty View Post
              Town-cars from certain years had those. I pulled a pair of an 89 today, i cant remember what kind of bracket they had, i know the bottom half slid onto a pin, but dont know how the pin was held on. Maybe someone here with a TC can help you out though.
              Yeah, I've seen '86s have them too. Not pretty when those things fail though.

Comment

All Towncars have them, 80-85 had a stronger one since the hood was steel. 86+ hood shocks have less oomph to them. They pop on to a stud on the top and bottom, looks like a zerk fitting. Mark VII does not have them, possible the Fox Continental (87 down) has them but I don't know.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

They came on fox contis but IIRC it was only for a year or two.
                  Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
                  AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
                  Open/Lock/Ratio #
                  -----------------------
                  G / H / 2.26
                  B / C / 2.47
                  8 / M / 2.73
                  7 / - / 3.07
                  Y / Z / 3.08
                  4 / D / 3.42
                  F / R / 3.45
                  5 / E / 3.27
                  6 / W / 3.73
                  2 / K / 3.55
                  A / - / 3.63
                  J / - / 3.85

Comment

92+ panthers have them, there is a company that makes a kit for fox body mustangs, check MM&FF or 5.0 and super ford to find them, also check out somewhere like Boat U.S. they are used a lot of boats, you can even find stainless steel lift rods.
                    http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                    http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      All Towncars have them, 80-85 had a stronger one since the hood was steel. 86+ hood shocks have less oomph to them. They pop on to a stud on the top and bottom, looks like a zerk fitting. Mark VII does not have them, possible the Fox Continental (87 down) has them but I don't know.
                      Were they a feature/upgrade? Some townies have the springs too don't they?

Comment

My '04 CVPI parts car has them. I don't know how they detach from the car though. The shock just snaps on to the hood (on the zerk fitting thingy), but where it mounts to the fender is goofy. I'll have to look again.
                        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Working...
                        X