New valve covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New valve covers

Painted these up a while ago, never got around to posting them. They're from an 84-85 Mustang, and will hopefully live on my car if they'll clear the rockers. I had them bead blasted back to bare aluminum, then painted them with 3 coats of cast coat iron engine paint. After that came the crap job of masking all the raised fins off. I spent probably an hour and a half per cover with masking tape and a razor blade to get it ready for the 2 coats of light ford blue that live in the recesses. I would have liked to get the raised 'powered by ford' text in blue, but theres no way in hell I was going to be masking in between the recesses of individual letters. Not sure how bad the pics are going to look, I took them with my cell phone. My camera is on loan, but its a POS too so this probaby isn't any worse lol.
    Attached Files
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

a small paint brush (the type you use for building models), a steady hand, and those letters can be blue too. Just because it is paint, doesn't mean it HAS to be sprayed. I've done finned covers like yours by hand, and it turns out surprisingly good. And goes alot quicker too. My exterior metal railing on my house I did with a quart of Dupont automotive white and a paint brush. Lays down real smooth, shines like no tomorrow, and lasts ALOT longer than that rustoleum crap.
    Last edited by Enigma; 09-28-2007, 03:17 AM.
    1987 Country Squire LX Wagon 5.0L: Daily Ride......1964 Lincoln Continental 430ci: Toy #1.
    1984 F-250 4x4 4.9L: Toy #2.............................1968 Volkswagen Bug 2.0L: Toy #3.
    1989 F-250 4x4 5.8L: Emergency backup and work truck...

Comment

I don't exactly have the steadiest of hands, so I figured rather than risk screwing it up and forcing a re-paint I'd just leave it alone. Not actually sure how I'd like those letters painted blue anyway, might be a bit much.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Be sure to get them clear coated. Otherwise they will just get dirty and never get clean.

BTW, they look uber classy!

Comment

They'll look better once you get them in your engine bay!

I got a pair for free but I had to cart the whole engine away.
          -Matt
          1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

Working...
          X