trunk-lid Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trunk-lid Swap

So Im getting ready to finish the 87-91 taillight swap that Nitroracer started on my tudor. I went out and got a trunklid off a 90 GM, and Im wondering how hard/ if it's possible, to switch the locks out of the stock trunklid, into the newer one. ANyone know if this is reasonable?

Thanks y'all
    Admiral

Not hard to switch locks on these trunklids.I've performed this several times,as I found trunklids that where in better shape than mine.

There are 3 hold down plates holding the lock cylinder in.2 of them are riveted in,and the other is just bolted in.Steps are as follows.

1.Remove the License Plate Bucket by unbolting it from the inside of the trunklid,this way you can see inside where the lock cylinder is.

2.Unbolt the Lock Mechanism from the trunklid,and unplug its electrical connector.After its off,Pull the Lock Cylinder Rod and Spring off of the Lock Cylinder.

3.Get your drill,and drill out the 4 Rivets holding on the First 2 Hold Down Plates.

4.Unbolt the last Hold Down Plate,and slide it out of the opening,then sliding out the second hold down plate.

5.The last hold down plate at the front of the lid,(the one you just drilled the rivets out of)is being held in place as well by a spring steel tab,which must be depressed with a screwdriver.You can then lift out the last hold down plate,and remove the lock cylinder out the front of the Trunklid.

Hope this helps.If you have anymore questions or are having trouble at any of the steps,don't hesitate to ask.

Comment

Also,forgot to mention.When you are re-installing the Lock Cylinder in the new trunklid,you can use 4 Self-Tapping screws in place of the 4 rivets that held on the 2 Lock Cylinder hold down plates.

Comment

Thank ya very much. Im thinking this is gonna be on the plate for next weekend, so mebbe this week I'll try the process on removing the lock from the donor lid. That way when I go to remove the one from my original trunk, I'll know what it looks like.

The Admiral

Comment

I know when me and matt pulled off those lights off the 91 car in the yard the car was light tan. what's that part called between the taillight and the rear of the car did you paint it red yet?

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
          302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
          k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

I've always thought they were called a filler panel, and I never got around to painting them. Maybe Greg has.
            -Matt
            1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

Working...
            X