Im having a hard time.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im having a hard time.....

Well I've been looking around some places such as PPG and etc..and well they havent been able to tell me what color my car is. Im pretty sure its the factory color on my marquis. Its a very light baby blue but i dont wanna risk it.

Can anyone help or know a place where they can tell me?

BTW i will need the paint on a Spray can. If not ill have to have it sprayed with a gun.

Has the car been repainted? If so, it may be more difficult. But, if you know for a fact it was repainted the factory color (or was never repainted at all), the sticker on the driver's door, in the jamb, should tell you. You need to decode it in a service manual from the year of your car.
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

yeah, I tried that I just called a buddy of mines so he can snap a picture of the door jamb and maybe you can tell me. I have looked at the thing and didnt see anything related to it.

But, It doesnt seem to be repainted or anything of that sort.

What do you mean decode it?

Comment

There is a code on that sticker that corresponds to a color. If you can get the code, then a service manual will tell you the color of the car. However, you need a service manual from the exact year of your car, because there may have been minor color changes every year; I don't think the color codes are the same for all years.

What year is the car? I only have a 1989 manual...
        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Oh. Well I went to the PPG service place and looked in the manual they have for customers to look at. It turns out that he didnt have it for my year so he tells me to look at the 1985 year and I found a similar color but dont wanna risk the chance. I didnt know they changed the paint every year or so. I have a 1986 marquis.

Comment

I'm not sure if they changed the paint every year or not. But, its better to be safe than sorry.

Comment

Yeah, it is.

Well im just waiting on my friend to get here so i can snap a pic.

btw: do you know any places or what places can Press the color I want into a aerosol can. I need to do some spraying.

Comment

There is a chain around here called Levine (auto parts and paints). I know for a fact that they do that stuff. But, don't expect a perfect finish, especially if the paint on your car is 22 years old. It is weathered, and the new paint may be slightly off; just a heads up.

Comment

yeah. Thats what my dad was saying but I want the paint to match as much as possible.

Comment

There is a place here in MN that will match any color and put it in a rattle can for you. Haven't tried them so I don't know price but they said they have some reader that can scan and match your paint. Place is called Welle Auto

sorry just looked them up after i posted but it appears they are only in the Twin Cities, maybe you could find similar store in your area...
                    Last edited by 86bbub; 03-27-2008, 09:01 PM. Reason: only in MN

Comment

Man I guess that will be my only option cuz so far i havent found a place around me. First i need to know what paint my car is.

I hate not having a camera.

Comment

I don't know what color that is, but it's a beautiful one
                        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Reminds me of Spinnaker blue, but there were a few very similar light blue's that year, only the code will tell you for sure. Check the door sticker and cross reference it with Painscratch.com's listing for 86' Mercury's. http://www.paintscratch.com/ Paintscratch sells mixed paint in bottles, pens, and cans. I bought a bought kit for my factory color repaint and the color matched well. If the door sticker is missing, there are build sheets hidden around in the car that list the code as well. When I got the paint for my car I went with Dupont and the book had all the 86 listings so maybe try that as well.
                          sigpic
                          1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
                          Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

If you cant read the code on the DS door jamb sticker, Look under your drivers seat springs for the build sheet. It will have the factory paint code printed on it. I've yet to see even one 86-91 Box that didn't have the build sheet stashed there.

Comment

all i did was go to o'riell'ys, the one where i live they have a paint section, if u dont know what color your car is he just puts this gun to a part of ur car and it tells him the exact code it is, my car came factory metal flake so it was about $20-25 for a spray can
                              ---1990 Lincon LSC., 5.0 H.O., 55,000 ORIG. miles, 3:73 Posi, Bullit rims, 3G alt., 2.5" full-back exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, Flowmaster mufflers. My DD
                              ---1985 Grand Marquis 2-door., Fresh 5.0, slick-top, GT40P's, 1.7 RR's, FRPP headers, 3G alt., Weiand Stealth intake, 650 cfm holley, 2.5" side-exit exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, 3:55 Posi, Bucket seats, custom center console. My Toy

Comment

Working...
                              X