No announcement yet.

chrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dave, the exterior trim is aluminum that is coated with what i believe is a clear coat that dulls over the years...i think the only way to truely restore it would be to remove the trim, strip the coating off and either polish it regularly or recoat it with a clear of some sort...there was a thread on this a while back some where here... just an fyi if your wondering why all your trim does not seem to polish up like new...that aggrivated me for a long time haha.
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

I will have to look over all my trim. Just clean it with some windex or something fast to see if it is really dull or not. I have it all in my room, just need to get to it. I also have some extra large pieces of trim like a hood trim that i can mask off areas and test out which products give the best result. I am a little afraid to remove the coating on the aluminum, i really dont want it to pit. I understand if you clear it after you remove it, it gets sort of protected out it will not last.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

The trim is anodized. Acetone will remove the coating.
        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

So if you used the acetone cleaned it up and resprayed the clear it would be all pretty again?
          1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
          2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
          sigpic

Comment

in theory i think. But i have sprayed aluminum part just to have them pit again.
            ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Strip the coating. Polish, and clear? Adhesion to a super shiny surface is an issue.

You could got for the matte look, and scuff it all down, and then clear it.
              **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
              **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

the matte brushed aluminum may be pretty cool. But i think its best to just leave it alone.
                ~David~

Comment

idea....get a trim piece from the junkyard, acetone it, polish it, then clear it and leave it outside and see what happens...ive been meaning to do that actually haha
                  -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

i can do that. I have numerous pieces left over from my Junked door. BUt am to lazy to rty it out. maybe one day
                    ~David~

Comment

I don't know if it's already been said in this thread but if your intent is to clearcoat it for protection reasons, get automotive two-part clearcoat and spray it on with a gun. Clearcoat spraypaint is porous and will provide zero protection from the elements.

Comment

are you saying an automotive spray paint clear coat such as "Duplicolor" for instance is porous?
                        ~David~

Comment

I sure hope not...

Comment

I use Mother's Mag/Aluminum polish on the wheels. I use Turtle Wax Chrome polish like chitownvic suggested for the chrome trim and exhaust tips.

My question is, my rear American Racing wheels have rusted inside of the slots and I was wondering what kind of heavy (hance abrasive) polish would work best to shine them up a bit? The rear wheels are newer and I guess the manufacturing process changed since I got the older wheels in '06. The older wheels are still shiney and aren't rusted like the newer ones. They're supposed to be aluminum alloy, but I think they were tainted.

Packman

Comment

Try some Neverdull, it removes rust. Just pull a bit out of the can (close up the can) then go t work on the area then buff out.
                              ~David~

Comment

Working...
                              X