Full Vinyl Top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
    Me thinks there are nice little mouldings on the bottom of the A-Pillar specific to full vinyl top cars, but it could probably be custom made.
    I don't remember whether or not there were mouldings at the a pillar. I'm sure there is, didn't really look that hard. Also the piece that's in the middle is different, it doesn't wrap around the roof. In fact, the one I saw had opera lights behind the emblem.

Comment

/post hijack

Crown Victoria was a 92+ thing.

In 1983 the name was tacked onto the LTD, along with a trim package, and it became known as the "LTD Crown Victoria".

I even have a 1983 Factory Brochure which says right on the front, "New for 83, the "LTD Crown Victoria" Not like I'm making this up, it's official Ford nomenclature.

It is also listed in every Ford car parts list, even at Retail auto parts outlets, as the "LTD Crown Victoria"

83-87 this car was known as the "LTD Crown Victoria", thats not even disputable.

/unjack

Comment

Yeah '83 is when it became known as the LTD Crown Victoria, before that it was just an LTD.

Comment

Slicktops are better in my opinion also!
          '79 Continental Town Car
          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Slicktops FTMFW! but it is your car....
            Resident diesel addict

Comment

I would do a slick top but I don't know any where to get it done, and I figured it will be expensive. Btw does macco do body work or just paint?
              1986 Ford Crown Victoria Ltd

Comment

niether...
                Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                  niether...
                  How true.
                  **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                  **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                  **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                  **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Well I had a 91 with the full vinyl top. It was a former KYSP detective car. It came from the state auction painted a non oem blue with the vinyl on it. Yet it was kysp gunmetal gray under the hood and in the trunk. odd.

At any rate, I would have prefered a slicktop to the full vinyl, however I thought the full vinyl looked a heck of a lot better than the half tops that most of our cars came with.

I don't recall any trim at the bottom of tha A pillars, it just went about as far down under the hood as they could get it. It was obviously several years old, but it still looked good. I am 99% sure they just reused the stock trim around the windshield and b pillar, but got the rear trim from a plain old civi car.
                    Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
                    AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
                    Open/Lock/Ratio #
                    -----------------------
                    G / H / 2.26
                    B / C / 2.47
                    8 / M / 2.73
                    7 / - / 3.07
                    Y / Z / 3.08
                    4 / D / 3.42
                    F / R / 3.45
                    5 / E / 3.27
                    6 / W / 3.73
                    2 / K / 3.55
                    A / - / 3.63
                    J / - / 3.85

Comment

Members here have done the slicktop conversion themselves. Ask Tiggie or Tom, I believe they both have done it.
                      88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                      Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

my 79 landau has the full top, too bad it is in decent shape or i would rip it off like i did on my 86. not that terrible of a job to do yourself...

Comment

Roof

Originally posted by 86bbub View Post
                          my 79 landau has the full top, too bad it is in decent shape or i would rip it off like i did on my 86. not that terrible of a job to do yourself...
                          Do you have any pics from when you did it?
                          I took a look at mine, and i was wondering if you need any speacial tools to remove the trim above the rear windows, and to take the vinyl off?

Comment

Sorry no pictures in progress, didn't even think about taking pictures actually, atleast not until I was done. With my 86 the top was in such shit shape from sitting in the sun all those years that it was pretty much disintegrated already so I only removed the headliner etc inside to remove the trim across the roof and the sides.

I needed a mountain of sanding disks for the DA sander and a few belts for the belt sander as the adhesive was an absolute bitch to get sanded away.
                            Last edited by 86bbub; 05-08-2008, 08:31 PM. Reason: forgot something...

Comment

Originally posted by 86bbub View Post
                              Sorry no pictures in progress, didn't even think about taking pictures actually, atleast not until I was done. With my 86 the top was in such shit shape from sitting in the sun all those years that it was pretty much disintegrated already so I only removed the headliner etc inside to remove the trim across the roof and the sides.

I needed a mountain of sanding disks for the DA sander and a few belts for the belt sander as the adhesive was an absolute bitch to get sanded away.
                              So did you have to do anything from inside the car, or just the outside? I'm kind of afraid to take it off because I feel water damage might occur some how.

Comment

Originally posted by uwantbreadbai View Post
                                So did you have to do anything from inside the car, or just the outside? I'm kind of afraid to take it off because I feel water damage might occur some how.

You will have to drop the headliner inside the car, to remove the roof trim.

There will then be Holes left behind in the roof were the trim was attached to. You will need to tack these holes shut with a Welder to do a proper job.

If you take the cheap and easy route, and just try and fill the holes with body filler or epoxy, it WILL come back to "bite you in the ass" a few years after the car has been painted, and of course ruining the good paint around that area.

Comment

Working...
                                X