floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

floor

my heater core blew and while pulling up carpet to dry it i found rust and holes.theres this rubber matting which is wet underneth it also what is this stuff and do i need to relpace it
    Attached Files

That's the just factory sound deadener. It's tar-based stuff that's not the most fun to remove. Now, you have to ask yourself how much you love your car and you can go either of two routes. First, finish the core, plop the carpet back down and call it a day. Or.. in my case, i removed the seats & carpet, removed the deadener, sand blasted, put down 3 coats of POR-15 and then some Dynamat Extreme. There's gonna be some decent rust hiding under there, probably a few pinholes but the structurally it should be just fine.

Removing the deadener is the most labor intensive part of the job. I used scrapers, heat guns, varsol, gasoline, Turpentine, you name it. It's a pain but it comes up. Also, I noticed in your Relays thread the kicker panel metal is a tad rusty. If you do this, you can also clean and spray those rusty areas in there with some Eastwood Rust Encapsulator to prevent it from getting worse. A lot of the water seems to come in from the door seals as they get older, and in the kicker specifically, from the seal seals and door hinges in that area.
    sigpic
    1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
    Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Looks to me like he's got some pretty big holes in that floor.

Anyways, as 88GmLsCoupe said, that's the factory sound deadener. You can rip it out and not replace it, but the car will seem noticeably noisier inside. You can rip it out and replace it with some other brand sound deadener, such as Dynamat, which will be worlds better than the factory shit.

Comment

I got the Dynamat Extreme bulk pack on eBay so it wasn't to horrible cost wise $60-90, I really can't recall but definitely not retail. The car is still nice and quiet, probably more so now. Only thing I haven't put back in yet are those fiberglass pads. For the areas with decent holes I used JB Weld and Fusor Seam Seal.
        Attached Files
        sigpic
        1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
        Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

ok thanks for the info

Comment

Working...
          X