"dont apply to painted surfaces"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"dont apply to painted surfaces"

soooooo.today i decide: the crowns engine is pretty filthy from a storm we had a whille ago.i say, why dont i go and wash it with the engine cleaner at the car wash? one of the dumbest damn ideas ive had all week.i spray the stuff on the engine, and all is well, until the hose at the top of the sprayer starts leakin the crap all over my roof, hood, and right fender.i try and rinse it, no luck.theres stains all over my beautiful creamy paint.Idk what to do about it.is there any way to get it off or should i start investing in a new paint job?
    sigpic-The Crown(Kodiak)1989,150K Miles,5.0LOpo,autolamps,slicktop,power windows and locks,yet still not good enough to be LX:confused:

try some cleaner wax, if that does not work you might have to compound it out
    http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
    http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

ok ill try the wax.hopefully it'l work
      sigpic-The Crown(Kodiak)1989,150K Miles,5.0LOpo,autolamps,slicktop,power windows and locks,yet still not good enough to be LX:confused:

Comment

If it does come out all the compounding you'll have to do is going to leave your clearcoat pretty god damn thin if there's even any that's still undamaged.

Comment

i know.and the crappy thing is that it wasnt my fault.i just wish that car wash would have kept up it's maintenance.it's not like i keep a ladder in my trunk and can just jolly myself up there and tighten it

Comment

I dont realy care for quarter car washes. Most recycle there water. Just how do they get all the chemicals that go down there drains soap, tire cleaner, engine cleaner , winter salt etc. Shure fired way to hurt your paint
            Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

I don't wash my car at public car washes for a reason.

Comment

Start with the gentlest method and work your way up until you get the right result. Perhaps a clay bar to start with, cleaner wax, then some polish like 3m swirl mark remover, then compound as a last resort.
                sigpic
                1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
                Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Did you talk to the wash's management about it?
                  2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

no,but i should.doubt theyl do anything about it.it's one of those car washes that has an attendant when it opens in the morning to take out trash and stuff, but after he's done with that, he's gone.so theres nobody to aid you if it eats your quarters or something.

Comment

Oh, interesting. I didn't realize those things were completely unattended during the day. Still, good luck... one can always hope that someone will take some responsibility for buggering up your paint!
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

yea lol, but then again,this is Oklahoma, so i doubt if anybody but myself really cares

Comment

That's why you should at least get the whole car wet with a rinse before doing that, gives you a little bit of time before it completely ruins the car.
                          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

well the only reason i went to the car wash was to clean my engine.i wasnt going to clean the car until i got home, since people tell me it's better to DIY.

Comment

Hmmm. Was the 'sprayer' yours, or something from the car wash? Did you supply the cleaning solvent? Did you accidentally spray the stuff on the roof?

My brother manages car washes (not in OK...lol), and he gets some of the craziest complaints ever. One time someone brought their car in, ran it through the automatic, and swore that the machine sprayed white paint over the rocker panels on the car. It was clear they had run through wet line paint, and the company told them to pound sand. However, when faulty wash equipment is to blame, the company is pretty willing to help the person out. You could go back and see if there is a contact number somewhere, and surely if you look in the phonebook, they have a main office.

I used to get free washes from my brother all the time (touchless, and sometimes the brush washes). The car came out nice, but the equipment never dried the car to my satisfaction, and I used to have water spots. I stopped going because he was tranferred to a wash farther from my house.

The self serve washes are BS; you might as well wash at home if you want to get a nice job. You have to rush for fear you will spend like $10.

I will say one thing though. Those washes dilute the piss out of alot of their solvents, obviously to make them go farther, and they still do a nice job. I obtained a bucket of undiluted soap a year or so ago, and I have to say, I have never seen a car wash soap leave such a shine (I dilute as suggested).
                              **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                              **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Working...
                              X