How do i remove these moldings/trims??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do i remove these moldings/trims??

I have a 1987 two door CV and i need to remove the trim around the quarter window, the trim seperating the vinal top from the paint along the back of the coupe as well as that little peice between the quarter window and the door opening, also seperating the vinal from paint. I need to remove these so it can be painted. I soon will be reparing my crunched quarter panel (on pass. side), so i need these removed for a quality paint job. I don't know how these peices are retained, thinking of trying the window molding removal tool but would like suggestions on how to approach this, i believe others have removed these items before, i just need your insight. thanks here is a pic of what i need removed.

-dave
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

While I have not yet successfully removed my tudor quarter-window trim, I do know that Harbor Freight sells a few decent trim removal kits for cheap. The kit made of stamped metal contains a tool for pulling back the clips like you have on the windshield trim (I assume those quarter windows use the same clips), and they also have a couple other specialty kits made of plastic that are good for interior stuff and exterior stuff where you have to pry against a painted surface.

Here are the two kits I've got:

And here are some others that are available:

2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

...BUMP...
      ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

PM Bowman85Merc, he just put those chrome pieces on, well some of them, he removed all that trim when he went to a slick top.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
          PM Bowman85Merc, he just put those chrome pieces on, well some of them, he removed all that trim when he went to a slick top.
          Nice will do.
          ~David~

Comment

... and post it in here when you find out for sure how they come off! I'm still figuring on the same kind of clips as are used on the windshield, but mine has a bunch of adhesive in there that's hard to dig through.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
              ... and post it in here when you find out for sure how they come off! I'm still figuring on the same kind of clips as are used on the windshield, but mine has a bunch of adhesive in there that's hard to dig through.
              no problem, anything for my fellow tudors.
              ~David~

Comment

the chrome over the roof you have to remove the headliner and the rear panels.....the brown trim has pot metal tits that go into clips on the body and possibly a nut or two on the inside of the trunk......the window trims i think went in before the window.....will have to carefully pry them off and then figure out how to get them back on...i have not gotten to that point yet

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

cool thanks scott, i will eventually dive into this project
                  ~David~

Comment

well i had some free time and i decided to investigate. i found out that the little silver piece is retained by a 9mm nut, as well as a plastic push thingy like a door panel retainer, but none removable! The brown molding running from the quarter panel window to the rear window is retained the same way with a 9mm nut and two to three platic pusher things. I attempet to peel back the quarter panel window trim and saw that their seems to be clips that retain it in its position.

this is the nut retaining the little silver piece of trim. see below:

that empty hole in the body is where the platic pushes in.

that is the one nut that retains the molding between the quarter window and the rear window.

those are the threads of the one bolt.

and that is a crappy picture is of two plastic pushers. the middle one is a rivit for the vinyl top.
                    ~David~

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
                      the window trims i think went in before the window.....will have to carefully pry them off and then figure out how to get them back on...i have not gotten to that point yet
                      Oh, interesting. That would explain why I found lots of body sealant but no clips when digging around with the window trim tool. So something like the wide blue plastic pry tool in my second pic might be appropriate, huh? Do you play to try prying from the window side or the body side?

Edit: Shoot! I just got mine into the state pictured, and that stupid piece of junk is made of plastic!

That means the rear-window trim on this car is probably plastic as well. I'd really thought they were metal covered with faded Naugahyde. That means that if I want bright trim there, I'll have to hunt some up from another vehicle - not a huge deal for the rear window trim, but for that little strip behind the quarter window it could be a problem.

Were there two-doors available with bright trim in that location?

Otherwise, the only to get things the way I want them would be to either try to make my own bright trim (wish me luck ....), paint this stuff silver (ick), or to go slicktop and fill all the holes! And I hate to do that with the vinyl still in rather nice shape.
                      Last edited by 1987cp; 10-09-2008, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Oh, interesting. That would explain why I found lots of body sealant but no clips when digging around with the window trim tool. So something like the wide blue plastic pry tool in my second pic might be appropriate, huh? Do you play to try prying from the window side or the body side?

Edit: Shoot! I just got mine into the state pictured, and that stupid piece of junk is made of plastic!

That means the rear-window trim on this car is probably plastic as well. I'd really thought they were metal covered with faded Naugahyde. That means that if I want bright trim there, I'll have to hunt some up from another vehicle - not a huge deal for the rear window trim, but for that little strip behind the quarter window it could be a problem.

Were there two-doors available with bright trim in that location?

Otherwise, the only to get things the way I want them would be to either try to make my own bright trim (wish me luck ....), paint this stuff silver (ick), or to go slicktop and fill all the holes! And I hate to do that with the vinyl still in rather nice shape.
                        I don’t really know if bright trim was available in that location on the two door. I was looking for the same thing but couldn’t find any. I did grab bright trim for the rear window though. Was thinking of going slick because my top is shot.

And companies make chrome paint, you could try that instead of silver.

here is just a cool example http://www.kustomrides.com/chromepaint.htm

their are actually many brands that offer chrome paint in a rattle can

it dosen't hurt to try, you can always go back to black
                        Last edited by 87gtVIC; 10-09-2008, 02:31 PM.
                        ~David~

Comment

Interesting. Sounds like going slick may be a good solution for you, then. Personally, I think Bowman85merc's car would look better if he'd eliminated all the horizontal trim, but he did his own thing and the results do look good.

I experimented with a few rattlecan chromes when I got myself into the crazy project on the slotted front bumper I currently have on this car, but none I could afford would stand up to a clearcoat, so I ultimately went with Rustoleum "Stops Rust" silver metallic and topped it with "Stops Rust" clear. It's nowhere near as nice as chrome, but it does look OK. It could probably be made to do in a pinch on this as well, especially if I spent some quality time smoothing it first like I did on the bumper.
                          Last edited by 1987cp; 10-09-2008, 02:41 PM.

Comment

i must say that looked pretty good. it was like a flat chrome look. you can really tell the diff. when looking at the two doors bumper and the four doors bumper, but i think it looks good. like a stealth look.

you can even chrome plastic at a chromer!!

http://www.4chrome.com/PlasticChrome...FRoSFQodfSKk7w
                            Last edited by 87gtVIC; 10-09-2008, 03:12 PM.
                            ~David~

Comment

i don't have sealant around my window trim but i do se some sort of clip things different from the windshield clips. so i plan on starting to pry where ever i can get a clip removed and hope for the best..
                              ~David~

Comment

Working...
                              X