Metal side moldings!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metal side moldings!

So one of my many back-burner projects is trying to get a source for these weird but neato METAL side moldings with which my new P72 is equipped. After talking to a few people, it seems like they must have been aftermarket, but no one seems to know anything about them. They seem to be even more elusive, if possible, than the nonadjustable bucket seats that are original to the car. I really hate the standard rubber moldings, as they get warped and gross so easily ... these have held up extremely well, and even though the rubber inserts seem to have shrunk somewhat in length, they're still pliable and do a great job of protecting the car.

Have any of you ever seen another set like this? I can think of a couple companies to check with that make aftermarket chrome bumpers and such, but maybe someone here has a more precise idea of where to start.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9412.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	1294901 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9413.jpg
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	1294902 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9414.jpg
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	1294903
    Attached Files
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

maybe jc whitney? does greg know where they came from?

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
    302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
    k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

my 79 landau has them and im pretty sure they were factory not 100% though.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by gabegt90 View Post
        maybe jc whitney? does greg know where they came from?
        Nope, no info from him. I haven't personally had any luck with JCWhitney; all I can seem to find there is this: http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...t=side+molding

Originally posted by 86bbub View Post
        my 79 landau has them and im pretty sure they were factory not 100% though.
        Interesting! Yours goes all the way out back, too, but that's just a matter of adding the extra piece or not.

Comment

These were on the car when I bought it. Same goes for the red pin striping, Buick wire wheels, and whitewall tires...

Comment

:lol: You never told me the car was wearing wire wheels and whitewalls when you got it! I hope your mysterious photo stash has pics from back then, just for laughs. :p

Comment

i've seen these at bodyshops.....some shops use them.....these were installed on my dads vw 412 after dad had it painted when i was a kid......my 73 cougar had them also

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

my 85 had them. but im 99.99999% sure i junked them
                http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Interesting. So there may be a chance of finding them at a professional body supplier?

Comment

ya

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                      :lol: You never told me the car was wearing wire wheels and whitewalls when you got it! I hope your mysterious photo stash has pics from back then, just for laughs. :p
                      And they were Buick hubcaps, and not Ford! I have only one pic of it from that era, it's 35mm, and my scanner is down

Did I mention that if you look hard enough, you'll find the car was originally plated as being blue? We (myself, the BMV employee, and a bystander) all though the car was light blue. It is for this reason, a backup orbital polisher came with your new car, lol.

Comment

I've seen those on some of the panthers in the junkyard.Some of them have that plastic molding, and a few with that metal kind.

Comment

Originally posted by torquelover View Post
                          And they were Buick hubcaps, and not Ford! I have only one pic of it from that era, it's 35mm, and my scanner is down

Did I mention that if you look hard enough, you'll find the car was originally plated as being blue? We (myself, the BMV employee, and a bystander) all though the car was light blue. It is for this reason, a backup orbital polisher came with your new car, lol.
                          Blue?? Funny! Was the entirely car just really badly oxidized, then?

Reminds me, I really gotta find time to finish compounding the thing and get some more wax on it.

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                          I've seen those on some of the panthers in the junkyard.Some of them have that plastic molding, and a few with that metal kind.
                          Interesting! Guess we could count that as one potential source, provided it's in good shape and able to be removed without damage.

Comment

I had an '88 P72 parts car that had those (the metal ones).

I had the plastic ones on my car before it was apinted. They were disposed of, as I think they're hideous. I still have an '89 P72 parts car that has the plastic ones.
                            **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                            **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                            **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                            **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                              I forgot to mention, do you ever see two-doors with the stuff?

Comment

Working...
                              X