removing door dew wipe trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

removing door dew wipe trim

anyone know how to remove these?.....i found two screws, and it moves a little but does not budge.....i dont want to wreck the trim

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

I took those off when I painted my car, but I couldn't remember how to do it when I painted the purple car.

Do you have a service manual, mang? I do, and there is a section about it in the windows, glass and mechanisms section (Section 42 in my '89 manual). It might be easier to look at the pictures in there, instead of having me try to explain this.

On my car, and in this manual, there is a little nut at the back of the door, up underneath the molding. Perhaps there is something different on the older cars, but you said you removed the screws, so that part is done.

It should have little clips that seat in small holes along the top inside of the door skin (inside the top of the door). The clips look to be a tab on the trim that pops into the small hole on the door. In other words, if you try and pull it up, you will bend the tabs and possibly ruin the trim. Maybe push the trim down if that is possible, and then slide the trim ourward away from the car.

Or, put the window all the way down, and see if you can get in there and see the clips. Maybe take the door panel off for more clearance; push the window away towards the interior and see if you can manipulate the tabs with a hook awl are something.

It doesn't really give explicit instruction on removing it, that I can find, but if you could look at the pictures I'm, sure it'd make more sense.
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

ok i have some pics...

so how i got this p. side dew wipe off was by prying up on it above the door handle end and it poped up easily till the mirror end. I know for sure there is ONE screw at the tip of the dew wipe trim by the mirror, their may also be another one 6 inches back from it.

p.s. door panels will need to be removed if not already.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

You have to take the door panel off, there are screws behind them, you will need to put the window down though.

Comment

thanks guys!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I'm interested to hear if you figure out how to replace the wipe thing itself! Getting the staples out shouldn't be hard (guess they can be ground off), but how to get replacements and attach them, I haven't figured out yet.

I'll be interested to see if there are extra screws on my two-door wipe trim ... but that'll have to wait till I figure out how to remove the crank-window armrests.

I've had it off the wagon before, of course, but that trimpiece is a lot shorter and probably less flimsy.

BTW, I got a piece of the horizontal quarter trim off (broke one of the retaining tabs ... grr....) and found it to be a painted piece of textured metal, presumably aluminum, and not plastic as I had feared. I may experiment with sanding off the textured areas and polishing.
            Last edited by 1987cp; 10-20-2008, 09:36 PM.
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
              I'm interested to hear if you figure out how to replace the wipe thing itself! Getting the staples out shouldn't be hard (guess they can be ground off), but how to get replacements and attach them, I haven't figured out yet.

I'll be interested to see if there are extra screws on my two-door wipe trim ... but that'll have to wait till I figure out how to remove the crank-window armrests.

I've had it off the wagon before, of course, but that trimpiece is a lot shorter and probably less flimsy.

BTW, I got a piece of the horizontal quarter trim off (broke one of the retaining tabs ... grr....) and found it to be a painted piece of textured metal, presumably aluminum, and not plastic as I had feared. I may experiment with sanding off the textured areas and polishing.
              There are some cars I've seen in the junkyard with perfect dew wipes. I really need to get new ones.
              The crank window armrests come apart at the top with a few clips. Then when that's off, it's just bolted on the door like the power window armrest.

Comment

There are directions for doing a Mark VII using some generic dew wipe material from JC Whitney. Probably you could apply that to a Panther. The wipes on both of my cars are completely shot.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I silicone mine and pray, that 303 Protectant might be worth a shot as well.
                  sigpic
                  1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
                  Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Working...
                  X