fender skirts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fender skirts?

i noticed alot of grand merqs on the web with fender skirts over the rear tires

where can i get a set for my '89?!

Last edited by RunUoveR; 12-05-2008, 01:06 AM.
    1989 Grand Marquis GS

Well I'll be damned if that ain't my car.

JC Whitneys carries 'em. They aren't an exact fit, so they'll need a little bit of persuading into the wheel well, but other than that the fit pretty good. Come off easily, and are already primered and ready for paint. Like $160 for the pair or something like that.

I've only seen one other Merc with 'em...

sigpic
    - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

thanks for the reply

i seen your ride on cardomain and seen another white car with them too. i really love the look. i guess it was a bit of an over statment when i said i seen alot of them , 2 would be more percise

so do they just pop in on what? am i going to need to worry about them everytime i hit a speed bump? i know jcw isnt excatly famous for selling parts with excelent fit.
      1989 Grand Marquis GS

Comment

Originally posted by RunUoveR View Post
        thanks for the reply

i seen your ride on cardomain and seen another white car with them too. i really love the look. i guess it was a bit of an over statment when i said i seen alot of them , 2 would be more percise

so do they just pop in on what? am i going to need to worry about them everytime i hit a speed bump? i know jcw isnt excatly famous for selling parts with excelent fit.
        The white car is MACK_THE_KNIFE's 85 Grand Marq. Beautiful car. If I remember right, it was wrecked. Hope he does the same if he gets another.

The skirts are held on with three clamps. Two side clamps, and one center bolt clamp. I've had mine on without problems for almost a year now. Only thing you need to worry about is car shops that may mess with 'em to change a tire or something, they don't always put 'em back on just right.

Then you could always extend the trim over the skirt, and maybe the chrome on the bottom. I had intended to do that, but I'll probably get custom skirts made when I have more money.

sigpic
        - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

Fun, more fenderskirt fans! I made some Photochops of Scott here's car a while back that I think are a bit more better than how it looks in real life, but any of these ideas would require not only some potentially-aggravating rework the aftermarket skirts themselves but also completely removing the stock fender flares, and so I don't know of anyone thinking seriously of implementing them.

And my personal favorite, with the roof restyled to resemble a '95 Buick Roadmaster ... still can't figure out why this idea hasn't yet been implemented.

2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

wow, that looks awesome!

gives it that late 1970's land yacht look lol
            1989 Grand Marquis GS

Comment

This is the first time I ever saw fender skirts look right on a Mercury...

Wonder how that would look on my CP?
              2000 Grand Marquis LS
              2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
              1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
              1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
              Mercury Owners Group member
              Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

A bit like this, only not rusty and faded:

Comment

Would look good if you could eliminate the factoy lip and make the whole panel smooth...
                  2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

^ X2

I don't think it would look right otherwise.

Very Cool photoshop'd pics btw 1987cp.

Comment

Uh huh ... that's why I did it that way in the pictures. The varied angles on the skirt aren't quite so bad on the sedan (though not my thing), but I think it'd be pretty awful on a wagon without additional body mods.

Comment

Would be a huge undertaking for sure.

The more I think of it and the older I get I am leaning towards following the route of actually raising the height of my wagon like GoodSamaritan did.
                        2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Lifting? Why? I like wagons specifically because they're not tall. If I wanted tall, that'd be one less reason not to just get an SUV.

Comment

Easier in and out.

Not a huge lift, just enough so I don't have to use the 4 inch lift trailer hitch for my camper.
                            2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Do you know where I could order some fender shirts in Houston.

Do you know where I could order some fender shirts in Houston.

Originally posted by MrMarquis View Post
                              Well I'll be damned if that ain't my car.

JC Whitneys carries 'em. They aren't an exact fit, so they'll need a little bit of persuading into the wheel well, but other than that the fit pretty good. Come off easily, and are already primered and ready for paint. Like $160 for the pair or something like that.

I've only seen one other Merc with 'em...

Comment

Working...
                              X