Yellow headlights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yellow headlights?

So I remember reading a while back that yellow light gives better contrast. One of my headlights just went out and I figured I would just replace both. I read about the 35 buck wire harness to use more watts so that sounds good. I'm constantly getting blinded by idiot civic or pickup trucks with illegally bright lights that arnt properly adjusted.

So if yellow are the best, you guys know any good yellow ones?
    88 MGM 5.0 stock

I dont know about the yellows but the silverstar ultra brights are kinda nice, I eventually want to go to true HID not that blue tinted ricer shit that blinds you.
    "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
    1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Read here about yellow lights.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
      1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
      But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MI View Post
        Read here about yellow lights.
        I think I'll try the cheapos and do the relay thing for a little more wattage.
        88 MGM 5.0 stock

Comment

nathan that was a cool find , especially since i have BLUE 10,000 kelvin h.i.d's in my 87 , deepsleep i had silverstar ultras before the h.i.d's they do help and its alot better with the harness upgrade too
          sigpicTHE H.I.D MASTER
          87 mercury grand marquis
          88 crown vic lx
          89 mercury colony park ls (sold)
          89 mercury grand marquis (sold)
          00 ford crown vic lx hpp
          03 mercury marauder aka punisher (sold )

Comment

Neato article.

Where do you buy yellow sealed-beam lamps in this country? Is it even allowed in most states?
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Selective yellow is the magic word. No blue in the spectrum. Blue light is quite probably the worst possible thing you could have in the headlights, other than maybe violet. The human eye can't really deal with blue light very effectively, which is why it blinds so badly. Aircraft and seagoing boats have red instrument illumination just because it doesn't screw with your night vision. I wish lighting standards were better enforced. It gets really old being blinded by some fugly blue light that glares so bad I'm driving blind for several seconds at a time.

I think legally you have to have white light, though interpretations of "white" are pretty broad. We've all seen lights ranging from pale yellow to green, blue, pink, or purple. Not sure where you'd get legitimate selective yellow lighting in a format our cars take, unless maybe someone makes a SY bulb in an H4 format, and you could convert over to H4 lenses with the yellow bulbs. I suspect you may get some noise about it from the local police though. SY light is pretty blatantly not white.

Anyway, getting outside of that, a good quality halogen bulb and a relay kit will do wonders. I still have old headlights in my car, and the relay kit made a big improvement. Voltmeter told me nearly 3 volts improvement at the lights, and I could easily see the difference in light output.
              Last edited by gadget73; 01-29-2010, 08:52 PM.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                Anyway, getting outside of that, a good quality halogen bulb and a relay kit will do wonders. I still have old headlights in my car, and the relay kit made a big improvement. Voltmeter told me nearly 3 volts improvement at the lights, and I could easily see the difference in light output.
                Isn't that the truth. I didn't bother with the voltmeter, but it was like a night and day difference when I jury-rigged a relay on the station wagon's headlights. Going from that to driving the Vic with mostly stock wiring was like driving in the dark. Finally getting the lights pointing in the right direction sure has helped, though.
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I replaced both headlights, what a difference! I guess the power starts to go away as they get older too. Is doing the relay thing easy? How should I measure and adjust the angle of the lights?
                  88 MGM 5.0 stock

Comment

Originally posted by deepsleep View Post
                    I replaced both headlights, what a difference! I guess the power starts to go away as they get older too. Is doing the relay thing easy? How should I measure and adjust the angle of the lights?
                    Relay thing is a sinch: Relay Thing
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

The filaments in halogen headlights cook off tungsten over time and deposit it inside the bulb. If you've ever owned a halogen lamp with the tubular bulb in your house and replaced the bulb, you'll probably have noticed they're silver looking inside. Thats not because it burned out, its the filament cooking and depositing on the cooler glass. Headlights do the same thing for the same reason. That layer of tungsten inside the glass is why they get dim.

relays are fairly easy, and a worthwhile upgrade. Related, it will also keep your headlight switch from melting again. I noticed you posted pics of yours elsewhere.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                        Relay thing is a sinch: Relay Thing
                        x1 it really helps out as well plus you won't strain the wiring as well too

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                        302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                        k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Working...
                        X