Ok WTF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok WTF

I took my car to get reinspected and it failed again. The guy says i welded a 1 inch thick piece of steel with a Mig Welder and that it not safe. He says i should have welded it with a Stick Welder. If he told me that in the first place that really would have helped me out. So what do i do i took it to Jack Williams for inspection to see if it passes their. I find this to be bullshit, if i can't fix this and it doesn't pass i have to sell the car because it won't pass inspection. Do you think i should go to a different inspection place or what the hell am i suppose to do. I will see if my car passes at Jack Williams.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
    -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
    1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Is this a frame repair? Post pics of the repair.

If you were trying to weld a 1-inch piece of steel onto a panther frame, it probably did come out pretty questionable looking.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

will post pics when i get it back from the inspection station. It's a rust hole right underneath where the control arm bolts into the frame.

-Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
      1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

You can get historic tags until its passable. Honestly I never had a car inspected, I just slap historic tags on them and drive around. You could also see if you can find a guy who will sell you an inspection certificate, thats what a lot of my friends have done.

Comment

1 inch thick?! Why!? A panther's frame is a lot thinner than an inch thick.
          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

it was to patch the hole. Honestly the guys afraid that the control arm would collapse and not hold. I really don't want historic plates because i drive the car alot. How much are the inspection certificates and are the legal.

Comment

is this patch on the passenger front by the control arm? and i dont see the problem with the use of mig welding, especially just for a patch.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
              1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
              1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
              2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Pics of said repair?

Comment

You can get classic plates in PA that have a lot less restriction.

where the hell did you even find one inch thick plate? And how did you get that to even try and stay in place with any sort of welder that wasn't some ungodly size? Thats just a whole lot of metal mang. The stock frame is probably no thicker than 3/16, and you'd just melt it away trying to weld 1" thick steel to it with the sheer amount of heat that would require. I'd probably whack that piece off, and weld some 3/16" plate in place, and that can easily be welded with a suitable size MIG. If you're trying to do it with a 120v machine, it probably won't get hot enough but if you have access to a 220v box, it will probably have enough capacity to get good penetration.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

also, im assuming when you say 1 inch, your jus reffering to the patch steel as heavier than the frame material.

Comment

Wow your state is gay.
                      1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
                      2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
                      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
                      sigpic

Comment

well took it to Jack Williams and it passed both emissions and safety inspection. I am now going to take it to the shop and have that welding whacked off and have my auto mechanics instructor do it to make it looks professional and not sloppy like the student did, i trust my auto mech teacher more than the students. i then am replacing my valve cover gaskets cause they leak oil slowly. Then i am going to do to the car what i had originally wanted to do to my 351, i am spray painting the cylinder blocks metallic silver, and the valve covers and and air cleaner anodized smoked chrome looking paint.

Comment

Thats good, glad to hear you got it passed.
                          "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                          1985 GMC 1500

Comment

this is all cause of auto class eh? i remember them days. it wasent long ago but, still. some kids like to play tech but, dont know shit from gold. be carefull who works on your car.

Comment

yeah i really didn't want to get rid of it if it didn't pass. i love that car as much as i love mustangs. My mom on the other hand thinks that car is unsafe because it has no airbags. Hello you surrounded in thick old style Steel non of that crap metal the new cars use. she's afraid one of these days i will hit something and have the car wrapped around me in a ball of metal. Well fuck her. And she calls her car safe. I would like to see who would win a head on collision my GM or her 2002 VW Passat<-----Piece of shit i hate foreign cars not all of them though) but the more she talks about her car being safe makes me the more i hate driving it but i do like that it is a 5 speed.

Comment

Working...
                              X