Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maaco service

Hey,

Has anyone used the Maaco autobody services? Are they reliable?

Thx.
    sigpic
    1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2DR
    302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")
    COBRA 25LTD CB with/ Wilson 500 whip antenna.

no, they are not. Life expectancy of a Maaco paint job is 5 years if you watch over them like hawks and treat the paint job well.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I've heard that if you pay them enough the job can be a good one, but usually it's not. Corners are cut and they usually don't employ people with much experience or attention to detail. If you have any know-how, tools, and time you're probably better off just learning as you go and knocking it out yourself.
      Awesome Electronic Cigarettes
      Stable: 2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 5.7 4x4
      1990 Dodge Power Ram W150 4x4
      1984 Grand Marquis Two Door Lowrider
      1983 Crown Victoria Two Door

Comment

Don't bother. What shape is your car in? We can give some advise on how to proceed to save costs.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Rattlecan it or roller it yourself. I've seen roller jobs that make Maaco jobs look like they are done by a 2 year old.
          '97 Cadillac Catera - 3.0 DOHC V6, 75k
          Soon... Any '95+ Panther!
          CLICK ME! Parts For Sale, SUPER CHEAP!!!

Comment

Besides the trunk lid being a general mess on the inside lip, and the corners.
            One tire well was smooshed a bit, and there are some other imperfections that make the car a 20-footer.

I just don't have a closed space to paint and cure it since my car is 100% outside car. I'm OK at using body filler and the text book method for recovering areas. However, it's be nice to have a TIG welder, a Devilbis HVLP (or Sears), a compressor, etc.

GT, I can drive by this weekend for a bit and see for yourself.
            sigpic
            302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")

Comment

I am no bodyman lol but I have witnessed first hand the transformation my car has underwent (and still undergoing). Luckily your car is white which gives you plenty of flexibility just because it will be difficult to see any imperfections in areas you touch up. You wouldnt want to lay filler on too thick so like you said it would be good to have a welder of some sort to sill in spaces or even weld on a hunk of steel to attach a slap hammer to and pull the metal back into shape.Then apply your filler etc. I'd say to take the plunge and fix somethings yourself. If the trunk is destroyed by rust the a new trunk lid from a jy would be your best bet unless you really want to spend the hours upon hours cutting and welding then filling etc. Take a look at my rr thread. A bunch of body shop visits were documented and described thoroughly to some degree.
              ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

~9 years on the Maaco job on my Mark VII. It has issues, and it shows bad prep work underneath but the paint looks OK from a distance. Its definitely not the most horrible paint job I've ever seen, but its not the best either. Lots of overspray on various parts of the car, and the idiots painted over the black anodized fender trim instead of masking it off. The paint is now flaking off the trim, so before long the mouldings will be back to their correct state.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                  Don't bother. What shape is your car in? We can give some advise on how to proceed to save costs.
                  This the worst of it, my poor right quarter-panel tire well.
                  See the yummy moulding moosh too.
                  Attached Files
                  sigpic

Comment

if you want a shiney $200 paint job on some piece of shit so you can try to sell it to some unsuspecting woman on craigslist the next day, give macco a call
                    1989 Grand Marquis GS

Comment

It seems as if he was more concerned about getting stuff fixed. But the way I see it is if they cannot even paint a car properly they damn well cant fix the body.
                      ~David~

Comment

if the trunk lid is rusted, your best bet is to replace it with one that is not rusted.........grand marquis lids are a heck of alot easier to find than 79-87 vic lids

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Usually the good cheap paint jobs are from that guy you know, in my dad's day it was him. He has painted cars for $500 back in the day and the paint is still on them 10 yrs later. Im lucky I had him around to show me how to do body work. Anyway, I would save your money, and talk to people locally who have had their car done at shops around so you can see the results.
                          "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                          1985 GMC 1500

Comment

DONT DO IT!!! i own a car that was painted from macco... from afar the car looks ok. but up close you could see all the f*ckups...
                            sigpic
                            67 Ltd tudor
                            67 Ltd 4door
                            85 Ltd 4door

Comment

Originally posted by 91grandmarquis View Post
                              Usually the good cheap paint jobs are from that guy you know, in my dad's day it was him.
                              me

I don't live too far away from you.

Comment

Working...
                              X