PPG paints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PPG paints

My MGM has the paint code "YO" for Oxford White.
    Unless the clear coat has worn off or been rubbed off my countless wax/polishings, was this car painted with a 2-step process (other than the rusty/brown primer)?

I thought the car came just with a multicoat base/clear combo paint job from factory.
    sigpic
    1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2DR
    302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")
    COBRA 25LTD CB with/ Wilson 500 whip antenna.

Maybe. I'd suspect the white cars were just enamel though, no clearcoat. If you have the original Ford manual, it has the colors in two columns depending if its clear or not. My 86 book shows Oxford White as one of the non-clear colors. If it was base/clear and the clearcoat was worn off, you'd know. The car would be horribly dull, and you'd see the edges where the clearcoat broke away.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      Maybe. I'd suspect the white cars were just enamel though, no clearcoat.
      My 91 is Qxford White and has no clearcoat (other than the hood, header panel and passenger side front fender which I guess where repainted after an accident)

I've noticed that the paint is super sensitive, ie: you touch it with a greasy hand, it leaves a mark unless you really scrub it.
      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

the box panthers base colors dont have clear but, the metalic paints do. im guessing that isent the case anymore.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

there was no clear on the white 87 vic and white 88 grand marquis i owned......only metallic colors and black got clear back then

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

In the car, I actually have two repro's of the PPG paint chip color pages printed from calibrated printers at work - for the car. Oxford white isn't really white-white, like it has a tinge of blue/grey to it. The mustang white (frost, arctic) is a nice white.

At one time I was looking to either to a two tone blue/white like the pattern on the Ford Torino in Starsky & Hutch. The other I thought about was how I described it on my cardomain site, "I really want this blue-dusk paintjob I saw on a Porsche on a calendar. Porsche was sitting next to a LearJet at dusk. The LearJet body is white, but the dusk skylight blues made the jet the same color as the Porsche".

Is it recommended to keep the paint the Enamel, or could I do something similar with the Corvette 7 layer acrylic job? I heard acrylic may be too brittle for our cars since enamel can flex, but acrylic needs a rigid surface.
            sigpic
            1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2DR
            302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")
            COBRA 25LTD CB with/ Wilson 500 whip antenna.

Comment

Working...
            X