donut to full-size spare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

donut to full-size spare

Can I directly substitute a 225-60 16" tire on a regulation rim for my current mini-spare, or will I need to change the mount because of the increased size? If a change is required, what is recommended? I'd like to preserve as much of the generous trunk space in this car as possible, but that mickey-mouse tire has to go. Thanks.

-VG
    2003 Grand Marquis LS Premium White/Light Flint Leather - "Moby Dick". Box stock for now.

yes, you can put a regular 225-60-16 tire and standard wheel in place of your donut without any mounting problems, I've done it on my CV. But it will cost you just a bit of room. You'll notice that when you try to put something really big in the trunk and it hits the spare tire. 99% of the time it won't be an issue, and so I recommend you making the swap. It will be well worth it if you get a flat.

You may need a full size spare hold down, I didn't, but who knows?

If you do, they are easy to get/find!

Comment

yep, it'll fit. Not sure if its still true, but at one time in the past, the mini spare sat off-center in the trunk while the full size was centered. It was just a matter of using the other hold-down loop on the package shelf. The hook and such are the same, but I think you have to flip the jack base over or something to make it all work out.

and yeah, skinny spares are for the birds. I actually have a matching rim as a spare, so it wouldn't even be obvious if I was running it.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        and yeah, skinny spares are for the birds.
        I've swapped the skinny spare from my '92 CV into my '90 CV.
        '79 Continental Town Car
        '90 Crown Victoria LTD
        '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

should be the same mini spare. I still think they suck. The Mark VII has one, mostly because a real one won't fit. Earlier ones had a full size optional, but apparently it was deleted at some point because I don't have the hook to mount the tire. The other problem with the Mark is the location of the tire. The full size would live basically in the middle of the package shelf area, which eats up about half of the trunk. The mini lives in the quarter panel, using nearly zero functional space. The crappy stock jack is also still in the Mark, again for space reasons. I have a proper hydraulic jack in the Towncar. That bumper jack POS went in the scrap heap years ago.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

As an experiment, I stuck a pair of used 25" OD tires from our Cavalier on old 14x6 Ford rims. They fit side-by-side on the little shelf, though they have to be retained with a ratchet strap. Same diameter as a compact spare, but I'd been thinking that if I ever get a Trak-Lok under one of my cars and get a flat, I won't want to put a single spare on the rear that's radically different in height than the normal tires. Better still, obviously, to just carry a spare that's the same OD as your normal rear tires.
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I blew a tire a while back and had to put my mini/donut tire on, but it wouldn't inflate. So I drove it home about 10 miles and in the process warped the rim.

So now I've got a 215/70R15 to fit as a spare into a 1990 GM. It seems like the only thing that was really holding the mini in place was a metal hook and one wingnut. That doesn't really seem like much strength to hold back 50+ pounds of tire from sliding backwards off the shelf into the trunk as I go around a curve or up a hill.

If I just put it into the floor of the trunk will it affect handling much? I can't imagine 20 extra lbs. being moved 2 feet could make a difference, but I don't really know a lot about this stuff either.

Also, I have 225/70R15's on the other four wheels. If I get flat on the rear would it be okay switch to straight to the 215 and drive home instead of the stupid musical tires switcheroo with the mini?
              Last edited by Eric_S; 01-18-2012, 11:01 PM.

Comment

that J hook and wingnut is all that holds the full size spares in as well. it works very well. The full size spare just uses the center perch instead of the offset one. handling won't be affected no matter where you put it. And as long as you've got an open differential, you can put the tire on any spot no problem. locking diffs will tend to burn up the clutches and possibly more stuff if the wheels aren't the same size.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

One fun spare-tire solution, unless your car requires big-inch wheels, is to lever a pair of old 195/70/14s from your Cavalier onto an old pair of 14x6 Ford rims. Same OD as the compact spare, only now you've got two so you won't mess up a Trak-Lok - and they fit side by side on the "shelf". Only annoyance, you've got to either provide yourself with a second off-center spare tire hold-down, or else do like I did and hold the two spares in with a ratchet strap.

Though come to think of it, you could surely do the same thing with 16x7 wheels if you have an old pair of 205/55/16 tires.
                  2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                  X