No announcement yet.

Box Body Roof Modification Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for finding that photo. It looks like they use the standard rear glass. It's hard to tell, though, if any of the metal around the standard window opening has been cut out.

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
      Just odereed from EBAY so let's see what it does!! Bobby
      i hope its a solution for you. iv used it on my brother towncar exterior and vinyl roof. i also use it on my old school leather jackets. iv always had good results.

about the sheet metal. it would not make sense to mod the roof sheet metal, at a cost/tooling stand point. so, they make a frame to fit where the glass would go, on a normal sedan. then just make a smaller rear glass to fit within the frame.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
        about the sheet metal. it would not make sense to mod the roof sheet metal, at a cost/tooling stand point. so, they make a frame to fit where the glass would go, on a normal sedan. then just make a smaller rear glass to fit within the frame.
        Yes, that makes sense about not modding the roof sheet metal. And, now that I'm looking at it again, that rear glass looks too short for the standard window opening.

Comment

yeah too short.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbeigeboat View Post
            please tell me that is not whats under the vinyl top on my town car.

lie if you have too.
            You don't have that under your vinyl top...

What's under your vinyl top is much worse...

Comment

its not much worse tbh. at least the glass fits in the whole area and not just in a fiberglass frame. all there is under a lincolns vinyl is, a peice of plastic held in place by a bunch of screws, exposed body seams and maybe rust lol. me thinks, a lick top conversion will be a touch harder on a merc/cv coach roof, than box lincoln. just cause you need new glass and i dont know if there are any "tits" for the trim clips. my slick top conversion on both lincoln and merc, was straight forward.

Comment

Urad is called Leather Mate in the US. It is the same product, different name. Both sold by Selectmarketing.They have two sites, one in the US and one in Canada

Comment

Originally posted by bigbeigeboat View Post
                  please tell me that is not whats under the vinyl top on my town car.

lie if you have too.

I don't need to lie, there is NO driveshaft under the vinyl of your towncar.

Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
                    Mine is the half roof on a 1987 GM. Almost mint condition except one or two little "nicks". Now if I could find a good conditioner I'd be set. So far, EVERYTHING has come off with the rain and stained the body. 303 also! Anybody got a good candidate???
                    You need to buff the 303 as 87GT mentioned for it to not run. Apply it, let it sit for a bit, then buff it dry.

Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
                      I don't need to lie, there is NO driveshaft under the vinyl of your towncar.

Alex.

ROFL! the things you can do with vauge staments

Comment

Originally posted by gm_guy View Post
                        i don't need to lie, there is no driveshaft under the vinyl of your towncar.

Alex.
                        lmao
                        You know the car runs well when the only things left to work on are the rear door cigarette lighters.

Comment

you might want to look at my thread before you decide to slicktop a townie....there is alot involved, and i dont discourage anyone from doing it, but there are times i wish i dint do it. i still have stuff to finish on it,and i hope to finish it this year.
                          89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Working...
                          X