Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cant find that white wall tire that you want?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cant find that white wall tire that you want?

here is a simple solution.

iv checked them out on ze interwebz and they average $50, for the set(4). pretty smart, since white walls are becomming scarce.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

I can see this for a sleeper. get performance tires and put a white wall on it so it doesn't look like it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Too bad you can't install them WITHOUT dismounting the tire!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Yea they been out for a few years even have em for Bikes/Choppers IIRC I dont think there recomended for radials just Bias plys

Comment

Yep, not recommended for radials. Which sorta defeats the point since bias ply whitewalls are sold anywhere blackwall bias ply's are. Too bad.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

What could go wrong if you mounted them with a radial tire? I don't see how it could matter.
            88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
            Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

bias ply tires don't bulge out at the bottom nearly as much. I'm assuming the radial tires bulging out would cause the whitewall to not stick/form to the surface properly making it obvious it's stuck on.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
              160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
              waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                http://www.mooneyesusa.com/shop/prod...m6meeln879flt0

Yep, not recommended for radials. Which sorta defeats the point since bias ply whitewalls are sold anywhere blackwall bias ply's are. Too bad.
                one word...FUCK! i missed that part.

if they are for bias only, they prolly wont fit right on a radial. the side walls are different.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Just some feed back on em on frm the H.A.M.B.

what are the pros and cons of using port-o-walls? i have them because i don't have the money for real whitewalls. just want some info. mine measure out...

Comment

On tubeless radial tires, they eat away the sidewalls. Some guys have reported it actually rubbing all the lettering and whatnot off the sidewall of the tire after only a couple thousand miles. Seems kinda dangerous to me. I looked 'em up before, since I wanna try out wide whites, and everything I read said to stay away from 'em if you have radials. If I remember right, it can mess up the seal around the rim and tire if done incorrectly too, causing a slow air leak.

Neat idea, yes. Practical for our usage, I wish...they are much cheaper than a set of 4-5 brandy new white walls.

sigpic
                    - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

most of the time you see the sidewall inserts on trailer queens at shows, not daily drivers.

Actually the best, longest lasting, cheapest, whitest way of wide whitewall is to use laquer thinner on the sidewalls until you stop getting the brown tire mold release on the cloth, then mask the tire and use any brand of white elastomeric roofing coating from Lowes or home depot.
                      Sno-roof
                      Snow-seal
                      what ever its labeled as locally

no air leaks, no sidewall grinding (old method for widening whitewalls), no browning and it latex based so it wont eat the sidewall and it flexes with a radial sidewall.
                      Last edited by bigbeigeboat; 03-19-2012, 07:04 PM.
                      You know the car runs well when the only things left to work on are the rear door cigarette lighters.

Comment

Working...
                      X