Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1989 mustang convertible: window does not line up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1989 mustang convertible: window does not line up?

Helping a buddy work on his 1989 mustang.

Among other issues maybe more serious, there's a trim concern.
    The window, fully rolled up, door fully closed: does not seal.
    It looks like the gap may be too wide for new weathestripping alone to bridge?

Any thoughts on what might be off here?

It's been raining heavily over the past week, and now the driver's seat is soaked: on my watch. I won't let him blame me, of course; but it's going to become a problem unless it's garage kept on his end and never let to sit outside!

looks like the door striker may need to be adjusted inward as well. That door doesn't seem to be closing properly to line up with the rear quarter. Also, is the windows flush at the front of the door? If the window is not lined up on that end as well, the window may be out of alignment as well.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

need a pic of the hole side window combo on both sides, looks like the back window might be off a little!!!! had a buddy that had a convert w/347 stroker and after a couple hard launches the windows never met eye to eye again!!!!!
      '88' MGM wagon (mine and my sons toy)
      "60" chrysler New Yorker (my project)
      "78" Chevy 1 Ton P/U (yard horse)
      "01" Ford Explorer (wifes DD)
      "93" Chevy Suburban (my DD)

Comment

I agree with Slymer. It looks like a mix of the window being cocked-eyed, with the top leaning towards the front of the car, and the door not closing fully. With some adjustment both the top of the window and the entire door should be able to move back, and the door should be able to close more tightly in towards the body.

Root cause of the door misalignment could well be something getting tweaked. Foxbodies aren't like Panther chassis. they will twist on you. My dad's stock t-top 85 Mustang was known to need another hard flogging or two after a spirited drive with the glass roof parts out for them to fit back in.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

check the window guide bushings. Pull the door panel and you'll see a big rod that goes from top to bottom of the door and the window glass guides on it. There is supposed to be a square piece of plastic in the window track where it guides on that rod, but often the bushing has crumbled and fallen out. When that happens, the glass flops around. You can get new ones from LMS for $cheap.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Looks like the door and or door glass and or the top or all three may be out of adjustment.
            You may have to work all three to get a proper, no leak fit.
            I would do the door first, that might be all it needs. But if not, then adjust the glass and do top last if you still have
            a problem.

Comment

Working...
            X