Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Landau top stitching and color codes... help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landau top stitching and color codes... help?

After reading this thread…

I'm wondering if anyone has since tried what I would like to try.

I am an owner of a 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS.

Excellent condition, 38k miles, great car!!

BUT.. the stitching on my landau top has worn away just as in the pictures that andymac0035 posted in that thread. I was considering trying to re-stitch it myself, as I agree that this is only decorative top stitching and not a seam that is holding anything together, per se.

I am hoping to find a site that I can either use my vin number (or just go by standard color options) to try and match the thread and thread color. Does anyone know of such a site, or might this site have links I could find this info?

I have done a little searching online as well as looked thru ads in hemmings for someone who did this type of repair but can't really find what I am looking for. I found this site this morning and thought it would be the best place to come to ask, and to see if anyone has ever done this or had a repair like this done before.

I'm sure it will be a tedious repair, but I am willing to try. I think I may be able to do it, I'm obsessive compulsive enough to at least try! Yeah, I know, I need a donor car for that part, but that is a different thread….! Either way, I'd like to match the color and thread as close to original as possible.

Any tips or suggestions on where to find info on the original color codes for the Grand Marquis!? And, if anyone has tried this since that thread I referenced above, certainly chime in and let us know how it worked out.

Thanks for your time! merlcat
Working...
X