Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bumper Covers

Hi,
    I did a quick search and did not find this addressed, although I feel pretty sure it has been. The bumper covers on my 2001 GM LS are in poor shape from years of road damage, me backing into things, and general poor paint adhesion. The dealer wanted a pretty penny to replace the back ($700 IIRC) and I think I'd just have to address this again in a few years; I intend to keep my Panther as long as possible.

1. I know the metal underneath does not look like the plastic shell,so I am not thinking about just pulling the plastic shell off. However, is it possible to get the existing covers fixed (they have a few small digs) and repainted with something better than factory paint?

2. Anybody ever seen "real" bumpers for these cars, i.e. chromed steel with rubber inserts, like my old 89 GM had?

3. Would it be possible/worthwhile to put police cruiser bumpers on my car?

Thanks in advance!

Never go to the dealer for quotes on replacing major body panels and paint. You will almost always get an insane price. Independant body shops will offer better rates. That said:

1. Yes you can have the existing covers redone and painted. Or just find a good one from a JY and have that one painted if the damage is too deep on the existing ones.

2. No, no "real" bumpers exist for these cars like the box bodies.

3. More than likely the character lines in the CV front and rear covers will not line up w/ the GM. Will it fit? Sure. Will it look right? Maybe not. The police cruiser front cover may not fit correctly if you have factory fog lamps on the GM, as the CV's didn't get those from the factory.
    These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

1) Plastic bumper covers are routinely repaired in body shops. If the damage isn't too extensive, you should be able to have your local body shop of choice give you a quote to repair and refinish your existing bumper covers. I've seen shops repair all kinds of stuff, up to, and including, 3" square holes from receiver type trailer hitches.

2) No. Not only would big chrome bumpers look out of place on a whale, installing them would expose some of the ugly bits that are currently covered by your existing bumper cover.

3) You could swap out the rear bumper cover for a CV cover if you wanted to, but I'm pretty sure the front bumper covers won't interchange without making some other changes (ie; headlights, corner lights, grille and header panel) as well.

2000 Mercury Grand Marquis GS HPP - SOLD
      Wore out the cam chain tensioners and jumped time at 176k miles.

Comment

I had all that typed up and had to walk away from my computer... FordMan, you took the words right outta my post!

Comment

Thank yall for the insights. I'll find a body shop and see what they want. The deepest boo-boo (technical term) is in my back bumper cover, in the ribbed area from where I backed into a palm tree and one of the stubs punched a small hole and a bruise on the plastic.

Comment

3 hours body repair, refinish the bumper cover, replace the chrome moldings, I bet you're out the door for less than $500.

Comment

Last time I had a bumper cover redone (not a Panther, Toyota Avalon) is was a little under $500. That was with three stage pearl white paint. I'd be willing to bet a good independent shop could do both either by fixing what you have or new aftermarket pieces for under $750.
              2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
              2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
              Past Panthers
              1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
              if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Working...
              X