Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1988 Base Towny-------Convertable----Go to all metal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1988 Base Towny-------Convertable----Go to all metal?

Well, been saving me piggy bank to get the top done......shit not that cheep:

Click image for larger version

Name:	t1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	1300400Click image for larger version

Name:	t2.jpg
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	1300401Click image for larger version

Name:	t3.jpg
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	1300402

1. I guess Im a puriest---nothing but NOS for my ride...no crazy rims , airbrushings of big titty chicks...ect

2. Would it be stupid to convert( or try) to make this into a converable top? I think the idea would be cool, but
    would it destroy my vision!?

3. Anyone have any experince with doing this or seeing this?

4. What about the polar opposite, making the top total sheet metal?

Thanks mang(s),,,,btw, I got about $2000 saved for this

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

You do mean a real functioning ragtop?
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

your is completely sheet metal dude, it seems that the ragtop ones,like my 89 currently have the fiberglass shell, youll have to check out my black project and slicktop a town car thread sometime. the sides and windows do have a funny body line, but its not anythign that cant be taken care of
      89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

I'd just replace what you have. It will be cheaper and still look really good. I'm not a fan of slicktop Townies, they really just weren't made to be without a vinyl top.
        2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
        2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
        Past Panthers
        1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
        if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
          I'd just replace what you have. It will be cheaper and still look really good. I'm not a fan of slicktop Townies, they really just weren't made to be without a vinyl top.
          nice sig!

Comment

Figured you would like that. I try and switch it up whenever something profound is said, lol.
            2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
            2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
            Past Panthers
            1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
            if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

dont do it!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I'm probably reading this wrong, but is the $2000 you saved up just for doing the roof? That'll be plenty, you could probably fix mine too!

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
                2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
                2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                  You do mean a real functioning ragtop?
                  Silly me, I thought you were really considering cutting the top off.
                  03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                  02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                  08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                  12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I kind of like the carriage top on my car. It seems easier to make small repairs to (sewing thread) and will probably last for quite a while longer than a vinyl top. They have some blind spots in the back, but I can't imagine it being too much worse than with a vinyl top.

I do wish the carriage top could have the little windows behind the rear doors, I always thought those were cool.

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                      Silly me, I thought you were really considering cutting the top off.
                      I know someone has!

Crazy Joe's Sales & Service331 Clove Road Staten Island, NY 10310Sales Department 718-448-5548 http://crazyjoesautosales.com

Comment

Originally posted by L1011tristar17 View Post
                        I kind of like the carriage top on my car. It seems easier to make small repairs to (sewing thread) and will probably last for quite a while longer than a vinyl top. They have some blind spots in the back, but I can't imagine it being too much worse than with a vinyl top.

I do wish the carriage top could have the little windows behind the rear doors, I always thought those were cool.
                        oh the windows are still there i assure you, they just are covered up thats all, the new vynil isnt all that bad an will last a very long time, i my self am at a carundum as to how i can slicktop my current ride as it has the ragtop as well.......just need to find one in a junkyard and figure out what exactly is under there besides the fiberglass shell...hell i might even make that work to my advantage one day.

Comment

Originally posted by L1011tristar17 View Post
                          holy smokes look at all that chrome! i love the grill piece and the fuel door

Comment

The carriage tops have a big fiberglass shell, and you also lose the side windows most of the time. Not a big fan honestly. These look really goofy in slicktop form too. Yours will have the fiberglass shell around the rear window, and there are all sorts of f'd up body lines hidden under that top. Peel it off and get an idea what it looks like in there and you'll be on the phone with the shop to get a new one fitted.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks for the input----to all, for real.

Gonna keep the OE look.......whats the going price for a replacement in your neck of the woods?
                              Ive been quoted between $900-ta $1200

Click image for larger version

Name:	town2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	1271765

So I gotta a dove-grayish...very light blue hue going on with my paint job last year.....get the top black?

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

Working...
                              X