About Undercoating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About Undercoating

Was thinking that I should add "undercoating" to the list of seasonal maintenance things to do for my car.

What is everyone's opinion on it?

Do it. The stickier the stuff the better, and the more knooks and crannies you get it in (without blocking drain holes) the better. the DYI option for you would be asphalt undercoating (not the rubberized stuff unless you remove alllll dirt and rust before application) from Canadian Tire. The let-an-expert-do-it would be RustCheck or Krown shops.

The first option will cost you 20-50 in cans, depending on how obsessive you are with it, and the latter is more like 100-250 depending on how good a job you have done.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I was thinking it should get done just to preserve the undercarriage and such.

Comment

If there's already serious rust, undercoating is a waste of time/money.
        '79 Continental Town Car
        '90 Crown Victoria LTD
        '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

There isn't a whole lot of it, actually.

Comment

I was wondering this myself as it is on my list of things to do. I have a layer of surface rust but nothing very deep or penetrating. I've heard someone mention por-15 and read a lot of good reviews on it.

Comment

por-15 is great, but generally something you have to apply for yourself (at probably 100 bucks minimum for the paint alone) or pay out the nose for someone to do.

IMO, undercoating IS worth it even if there is surface rust already, it just depends on the type of undercoating. The truck bedliner type stuff that is basically a rubbery paint will just trap rust, but stuff that is a thick oil/tar type consistency will afford you some protection. Of course best practice is ALWAYS to remove rust as opposed to covering it up, but...

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
              160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
              waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

Comment

Do it! I undercoat my wagon twice a year. The white and liquid death they put on the roads here, will eat you car if you dont do it. My wagon is originally from alberta and is mint on the under side but, has some minor surface rust too. The rustproofing has preserved this car and stoped the rust from spreading. It also keeps the salt from getting to the existing rust and making it worse. I use krown rust proofing. I dont know about other locations but, the guys I sue are pretty good. They do a good job. And if you want some special areas sprayed extra, they wont hesitate to do it. Also, stay away from dripless undercoating. Its an imitator lol

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Alberta doesn't use salt when laying sand/dirt on the roads, so cars last longer here than in Ontario.

Anyways, how much does it cost for rust removal? ._.

Comment

Depends on the rust and the shop. For a few minor little surface rust bits on seams? maybe a couple hundred. If you've got holes and major rot, the sky is the limit.

Comment

im contemplating an oil mixture of some sort. a real thick sloppy one.

suck to work on but it'll never rust.
                      Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Windsor View Post
                        Alberta doesn't use salt when laying sand/dirt on the roads, so cars last longer here than in Ontario.

Anyways, how much does it cost for rust removal? ._.
                        Sand some times can be just as bad. It just takes longer to do its thing. The bottom of the rear quarters were rotton from sand. When prepping the body work, there was alot that came out. The sand gets into tight areas and holds the moisture, then the proccess slowly starts. But yes, sand is better than salt.

I pay around $120 for a full spray. But, since your not exposed to salt, you could get away with a spray every second year. Considering you give the underside a good wash in the spring. And good mudflaps keep the high pressure tire wash, from washing the oil off of rocker panels and such.

Comment

Comment

Get it oil undercoated or don't waste your money. I have my winter wagon oiled every year, runs me about $110.

Don't bother with rubber undercoating unless you don't plan on driving your car in the winter. I've tried POR-15, many types of rubberized undercoating, ect... Buffalo winters just laugh at it and come spring it's already rusted again. Oil based undercoating is the only thing that seems to work around here.
                            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                              Get it oil undercoated or don't waste your money. I have my winter wagon oiled every year, runs me about $110.

Don't bother with rubber undercoating unless you don't plan on driving your car in the winter. I've tried POR-15, many types of rubberized undercoating, ect... Buffalo winters just laugh at it and come spring it's already rusted again. Oil based undercoating is the only thing that seems to work around here.
                              Exactly. Everytime I see these undercoating products, I LOL. Oil is the only thing that puts up a fight. Like they say, if it dont drip, it wont work. The oil the guys on my car spreads 10X than tranny oil.

Comment

Working...
                              X