Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

88-91 MGM trim clips (you know the ones)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

88-91 MGM trim clips (you know the ones)

yeah, those white plastic POS, like to break, clips that hold the molding to the doors.

I found a couple of places that will scan/reverse engineer the things and create 3D Printer files that can be used to reproduce them.

The problem is the initial cost could be from $250-$1000 to get the initial scans done. If I get enough interest (though I'm doubtful I will due to the infrequency of the looking to buy requests), I'll look into actually getting it done.
    Heck yeah, my MGM needs some love.
    0%
    Piss off, just shave those studs... smooth sides FTW
    0%

The poll is expired.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

I picked up a few of these awhile ago for a guy, they do suck. I think I saw a similar looking clip on another vehicle in a junkyard too. I wanna say on a Cadillac but I'm not sure. If I had to mess with them I would probably just shave the studs and go without the trim.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

Don't currently have a need but I remember getting some here! Probably one of the transactions spoken of here....

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I personally like the idea of shaving the sides and just keeping the trim on the trunk/front of fender to match the bumper trim.

but if someone ever has access to a 3D scanner and wants to make an STL file, that's what this process is all about.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

I may have some clips to sacrifice to anyone who needs them or to the scanning gods or whatever, pretty soon.
          Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

I have 2 or 3 that are still good for the scanning that I found shoved in a corner about 2 months ago, but I'm keeping those just in case this ever gains momentum.

Comment

In a few years I can probably draw some manufacturing blueprints up for them in AutoCAD, but I'm not familiar with the software enough yet.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

that would be awesome. I'm sure we have time to wait. And the nylon 3d printers will probably be down to consumer level by then.

Comment

Working...
                X