Wheel Assemblies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel Assemblies

So I have discovered some intermittent rubbing against my tires or something.

I took a picture of each wheel assembly and I don't know if it looks right or not:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	left_wheel.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	1300449
    Click image for larger version

Name:	right_wheel.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1300450

are they rubbing on the inside?......

Comment

I believe.

Comment

you may have the wrong offset wheels......for example....some 80s.Chrysler wheels will bolt on(like off a Diplomat or fifth ave,) but the offset is wrong,causing the tire to rub the upper control arm near the upper ball joint (ask me how I know.....lol)

Comment

also, can you actually see them touching at any point when you crank them like that? It might be a wheel bearing starting to give up if you actually have good clearance all around.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

When the mechanic did the brake inspection a week or so ago he said that there was nothing wrong.

He did mention my wheel bearings needed attention though.

When I was out a couple hours ago taking those pictures I was unable to replicate the problem, except when I parked it back in its stall.

Comment

I see you have a lot of dirt and cold up there. sometimes snow and ice can accumulate and the tire will rub against it when cold...just a thought. I've had it happen and make noises before
              -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

I'm just gonna chalk it up to new bearings time.

Comment

Look for the shiny spots. That'll be where stuff rubs. What wheels are on there? Looks like the sidewalls are awful close to the upper ball joint. I know if you use Jeep or foxbody wheels on a Panther it does that, the sidewall rubs against the edge of the upper control arm and if you aren't careful it'll just rip the sidewall right out of the tire. Also look for dinked fender trim. Worn ball joints, bushings, and wheel bearings will allow even more slop than it should have and it can make stuff rub.
                  Wheel bearings are a fair bet. They are seldom re-packed or inspected, even though it needs to be done every brake job. Failure to repack them makes them go bad, and you end up with humming and vibration and slop when they wear out.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well. It seems my wheel bearings are wanting to take off and form their own 1986 Mercury Grand Marquis LS.

Going in this Monday for new bearings and rotors.

Comment

Safety 1st.
                      '79 Continental Town Car
                      '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                      '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Working...
                      X