Should I dye my vinyl top?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I dye my vinyl top?

My 90 gmq is beige, I think they call it alabaster? Anyway, the vinyl roof is in pretty good condition for its age but I don't care much for the light color and I was thinking about dyeing it brown.

If I decide to do it I will prep thoroughly and probably use this
    http://www.yourautotrim.com/cordovanbrown.html

My concerns:
    Taking off the trim. I've got some brief instructions but I'm just hoping I won't damage anything in the process.
    There is a piece of trim that lines the bottom of the back window that is plastic and colored to match the light beige vinyl top. Hopefully that will look good painted.
    Is this just a temporary thing that will wind up dripping down the side of my car?
    Should I just leave it alone unless I'm going to remove or replace it?

It's not something I'd be doing in the immediate future but I'd like to hear any input on it. Thanks.

Canb you mask the stuff as opposed to removing them??

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

ummmm, I don't know, can I? lol
      That plastic piece that is colored to match the vinyl would still need to be removed, I doubt I could do it still on the car and make it look good.

Comment

Maybe you can and it would be loads easier than removing and re-installing all that shit! Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

If its this old, honestly I wouldn't dare fool with it. The more you poke and prod at it with moving the trim around the more likely it is to split open.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If it isn't all cracked and torn up I'd be happy and leave it alone!
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

Leave it alone until you can have it replaced. SEM is good stuff however I would only use it on interior parts. From what I understand vinyl top material is coated for protection against the elements. I would not want the mess if it did not adhere

Comment

Yeah, in the back of my head I was thinking the same thing, I just needed you guys to talk some sense into me. I should be happy with what I've got and realize that I'm luckier than most just to have it in good condition. I'll just order some aerospace 303 and start taking better care of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                  I would not want the mess if it did not adhere
                  Bump...
                  '79 Continental Town Car
                  '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                  '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Working...
                  X