Bumper tuck on a box CV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bumper tuck on a box CV

Has any one done it? I got Vicky out of storage today and I was looking it over and the thought crossed my mind. I was considering pushing the bumpers in so they sit closer, or even on an extreme idea of sectioning it so the insides of the corners sit almost flush with the fenders. I know it involves modifications to the filler panels, but has anyone done it or know what it would look like when completed?
    Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
    New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

I think someone tried putting 89-91 flush bumpers onto a '79-'87 style once, including filler panels. I don't remember how it came out. I want to say it was very awkward but due to my advanced age I really can't remember.

I would think the most unique and effective way would be to section and rechrome stock bumpers and probably modify the filler panels to match. I've seen this done several times but have not yet done it personally. I really want to try it some day - maybe on the El Camino.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSteakJim View Post
      I would think the most unique and effective way would be to section and rechrome stock bumpers and probably modify the filler panels to match. I've seen this done several times but have not yet done it personally. I really want to try it some day - maybe on the El Camino.
      This is what I was thinking of. I am in the process of hunting down stripless bumpers (I have the front one found, just need to find a back) which are going to need to be rechromed anyway and it seemed like a likely thing to try. I'm assuming I could disassemble the shock mounts and even go as far as draining the oil (?) and welding them as close as I would need. The filler panels SHOULDN'T be too much of a problem, just trim them to fit.

If this were to happen I would definitely buy sample parts out of the yard to try on first.
      Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
      New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

if you are rechroming, you wouldn't NEED stripless, you could have the stock bumper welded up. I've been dying to do the rear on the 89 wagon, I catch cones with the rear all the time, and think it'd look great tucked. The real tucking needed is width, and I think the brackets can be modified to get the bumper further in without messing with the shocks.
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

should be enough material between the shock mount and the outer edge that you can whack and splice as needed without having to fool with the shock mounts.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

As well as shortening, I was considering pushing them in a bit as well, hence all of the talk of bumper shocks. However after looking at it again today I feel like that might not be needed. The trimming though almost needs to happen, it would look so much cleaner IMO.

Comment

Working...
            X