H20........hard or soft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H20........hard or soft?

The neighbors sprinkler had my car full of water spots after I towled it dry.
    What causes water spots, and how do I remove them??

Originally posted by Toploader View Post
    What causes water spots, and how do I remove them??
    Mineral content in the water (aka 'hard' water). Lime (calcium), iron, manganese...to list a few. My city (and neighboring communities) is on municipal well water and we are well acquainted with limescale. Water softeners are almost mandatory here. The price we pay for some of the (otherwise) cleanest drinking water in the country.

Wash the car again, and towel/chamois dry before the water droplets are able to dry on their own. Might take a few washes until the spots disappear. I'm not familiar with products that will quickly remove the spots without harming the paint - I definitely wouldn't use baking soda, like we do on sink/shower limescale.
    Last edited by RyPow; 06-03-2014, 11:08 AM.
    RyPow
    1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX sedan - The "Sand Box" - 73K, towing package
    1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX Tutone Tudor - '96 Explorer 5.0 + 5spd swap in the works
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Cartier - previously owned by "navguy12" from thelincolnforum.net
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited, 102k, daily driver
    2006 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, 115k, winter beats
    1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car, 42k
    2012 F-150 5.0L 4x4, HD payload pkg (towing/hauling)
    2015 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD (better half's)

Comment

try a couple drops of JetDry in the wash bucket too. It helps prevent the spotting. Its really just a pain in the ass to get rid of honestly. The one and only time I washed a car here, it took me like 6 hours with the cleaner wax and a towel to buff the spots off of the car. My water is horribly bad though. I'm guessing yours won't be quite so severe if the water is generally clear. Mine is sort of yellow even under optimal conditions.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Cleaner wax and a liquid compound will get them off.. I think mothers makes a water spot remover for windows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

we had frozen h2o falling out of the sky the other week, dented the crap out of everything

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I am going to try the Jet Dry idea. Never heard of anyone using it but it makes sense.

Comment

its a trick I got from my old boss at the marina. we had lots of iron in the water, and it would spot boats up pretty bad. The jet dry didn't prevent it entirely but it helped.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
              X