Silvo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silvo

I swear I posted this topic once before....

Anyways, I bought some Silvo for polishing the chrome on my 1986 Mercury Grand Marquis.

Is this stuff safe for that? And should I avoid using it on the rim turbines?

Chrome shouldn't be an issue. Not sure what the turbines are made of so check before using or do a tiny spot you won't notice in case there is an issue.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

turbines are probably a coated aluminum. Metal polish usually won't do much on them unless the finish is gone. If its not gone, you don't want to remove it. Its safe on the other metal. Other than the bumpers, its mostly anodized aluminum though. It probably won't polish all of the chalky look out.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        turbines are probably a coated aluminum. Metal polish usually won't do much on them unless the finish is gone. If its not gone, you don't want to remove it. Its safe on the other metal. Other than the bumpers, its mostly anodized aluminum though. It probably won't polish all of the chalky look out.

My plan is to polish:
        - front bumper
        - rear bumper
        - the lugnut covers (some people call these "hubcaps")
        - the window trim
        - the headlight bezels
        - anywhere else it's shiny

Comment

the window trim is coated. As are the fender trimmings and the panelling on the bottom parts of the doors and fenders if you have that. Anodized aluminum. Bumpers and wheel covers/hubcaps though, polish away. Headlight bezels don't get too aggressive because that stuff can flake off and it's just yellowy plastic under there.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Ack. Good thing it's raining today. ._.

I'll just Windex the headlight bezels then.

Comment

I like car wax on those. Its enough to polish them but not enough to take any material away.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

On the bezels?

Comment

Working...
                X