No announcement yet.

Vinyl top love?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My baby girl 88 MGM has some mold and mildew in the texture of her vinyl top. I tried some saddle soap and a soft brush...no workie. Does that 303 stuff work for cleaning the black stuff from the cracks?

Sorry 'bout Cali, and about your vomit top, Adam. ("SEE? This is why we can't have nice things!") I agree with Derek: it's def time to GTFOT. Best of luck to you.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Comment

with mold/mildew, you've got to get more aggressive. I have no clue how to get it off safely. You might try a nylon brush and light use of Tylex or other mold/mildew remover. You will want to go back with a vynil/leather cleaner and then a conditioner immediately after you clean the mold/mildew off to prevent further damage. I gave up on my top years ago (basically when I bought the car) because it was pretty badly cracked already. Since I live in Texas and the car sits outside... the sun tends to bake off anything... so I've never had an issue with mold/mildew on that car.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Nitric acid ought to clean that mold right up, probably take the top with it too though lol. I forgot to mention Ash picked up some 303 for me and I used it. It's a little difficult to use and I recommend saturating a clean soft towel with the stuff as direct spray gets everywhere. Not meant to be a cleaner but a protectant. Very fussy about being uniform. I followed the instructions that say to wipe off all excess but it was streaky unless a bit was left over, which provides a dull shine that I like. Slymer, what conditioner do you use?
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I used the 303 protectant after using the 303 cleaner. I never had to mess with mold though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

yeah the 303 takes a little bit of fussing to not get blotchy looking. I usually have to do two applications with a bit of dry time in between if I want it to come out right. Black vinyl of course shows everything.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

bOATERS i KNOW OF HAVE USED THE MAGIC ERASER to remove stains and mold from vinyl. I have used the 303 protectent probably close to just after it it the market. Use it on all rubber, vinyl, tops, seats, door window seals, etc works great.

However it dosent do a lot for really bad areas. For the most part not much would but in really bad areas or after cleaning with heavy solvents I go with some pure silicone spray . Be sure its pure silicone spray no solvents or petroleum chemicals. Radio Shack like places more apt to carry it. It will soak in in places other areas will puddle. Keep trying on the spots it soaks in until it all looks fairly even. Still may not end up that much better but thats about the best one can do without replacing the material.

Remember always spot test areas first mostly using Magic Eraser
              Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Try InstaGone multi-purpose stain remover. I buy it at an RV supply store. A bit expensive however it works well.

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                My baby girl 88 MGM has some mold and mildew in the texture of her vinyl top. I tried some saddle soap and a soft brush...no workie. Does that 303 stuff work for cleaning the black stuff from the cracks?

Sorry 'bout Cali, and about your vomit top, Adam. ("SEE? This is why we can't have nice things!") I agree with Derek: it's def time to GTFOT. Best of luck to you.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X