Good price?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good price?

So I have no money to completely strip and paint my Tudor............but my bud has a friend that is the head body man at a Jag dealership........and moonlights........so I showed him the areas on my car that need attention due to surface rust.

Bottom line is he will prep/sand/paint the passenger side Q-panel, door, windshield A pillar, and drivers side front fender.

I provide the paint...........quotes me $300.00 cash.

So sound good??

great price if it's a decent job.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

If he does good work then I'd take that. That's a lot of areas to paint and proper prep is the most expensive part of a paintjob. As long as he can blend it in it should look fine.
      These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

He recently did my buds '64 326 Tempest........amazing!
        Originally posted by johnunit View Post
        great price if it's a decent job.

Comment

I have a friend that manages a paint and body supply house......I only hope the paint color matches the rest of the car.......it is Ford code 8-A medium sand beige, the body guy only wants me to get him DuPont Chrome Base paint.
          Originally posted by FordMan77 View Post
          If he does good work then I'd take that. That's a lot of areas to paint and proper prep is the most expensive part of a paintjob. As long as he can blend it in it should look fine.

Comment

As to the A-pillar rust, he said will will not paint the entire roof..........only the pillar and a small area surrouinding/blending it in.

Comment

You know these guys make more money moonlighting than they do on their 9-5 job!

Comment

Only thing he will not do is repaint the pin stripe that was on the doors fenders and q-panel.....I bet I pay at least $100 to someone to redo that!

Comment

still... that's a good deal. Body work is some seriously laborious work.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

How much prep is he doing? Is this just a scuff and shoot?
                    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Back when my dad still owned the Firebird the original paint had started to shed it's clearcoat. (yay for GM's waterborn CC!) Anyway, my dad isn't a paint guy and a guy offered to paint the entire car for $800 back in '03 or so. I could not get dad to walk away from this and so now the car has a 15-20ft paint job on it complete with sanding marks in several areas and chips due to poor paint adhesion & overspray.
                      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

The only area with surface rust may be the pillar. Fender and quarter panel will be rusted from the inside out. What you see is not the worst of it. Backside of those areas will be all messed up. All your moonlight guy will be doing is filling up the rust holes with filler. Also,you couldn't even purchase the all of the materials for this type of job for the price you were quoted even with you providing the paint which will never match a 30 year old paint job that sat outside forever. Just letting you know based on prior experience
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

The $300 was just labor

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Take some pictures of the area's in question.
                            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

According to the original post the 300 covers everything involved but the paint.

Pantera is correct though in asking for pictures to show the real situation.

Flaking paint normally equates to surface rust.

Bubbling paint normally equates to pitted metal with rust forming on the backside.
                              Last edited by 87gtVIC; 09-30-2015, 04:55 PM.
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X