Paint Cleaning Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paint Cleaning Question

I had Bobby's '87 GM, outside with a car cover, when I had my Topaz in the garage to work on. When removing the car cover, I saw several "white type blotches" on the hood and trunk. I examined the cover and there is NOTHING on the inside surface that could account for this damage. I tried Meguire's No. 7 Glaze, their Ultimate Compound and Mother's Clay bar. NOTHING helps! It looks like some sort of water stain damage. He has a urethane paint job with urethane clear coat finish and it looks almost like whatever it is may have gotten UNDER the clear coat. If so, that is a problem! Any ideas on trying to attack this problem? I don't have access to any buffers so it needs to be a "by hand" solution. I'm out of ideas.....

Pics?

Never had to deal with anything like that but worst case scenario you break out the 1000 grit sand paper and wet sand whatever that is off, then buff it out but since you don't have access to that stuff that option is out. I haven't had much luck with Meguiers blemish remover or scratch remover 2.0 but have had good results with their canned cleaner wax.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

if the prep wasn't great before the clear... the clear may be delaminating.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
        if the prep wasn't great before the clear... the clear may be delaminating.
        Possible but it only just happened after the car cover was on for a couple of weeks. Appears to be some sort of water stain damage. With all that is going on it may have to sit, for a while, since it is garaged. Probably won't have time to play with it so may get an estimate from a mobile detailer and see what happens. Don't want to wait too long as it would be more difficult to remove but I have other priorities!!

Comment

Working...
        X