Made in Italy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made in Italy

Hey folks. Just been thinking, the Turbine rims I bought in Bothwell (which I'm now getting rid of thanks to the super generous p71towny supplying me with another, more awesome set) say made in Italy on the inside.

The other ones that I picked up a few weeks ago do not say made in Italy... what's the deal? Anyone here a rim guru? (remember, just because a door is opened doesn't mean you have to walk through it. )

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this.
    ************************************************** ******************************
    1997 Crown Vic - Mostly rust free, moderate mileage. On the road... but far from perfect. **SOLD**
    1985 Crown Vic in 2-Tone Blue **SOLD**
    http://automophiliac.blogspot.ca/

There are two slightly different styles of turbines. Forget the particulars, but its something about the shape of the fins. Possibly they came from different manufacturers, one in Italy, one elsewhere.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Different production batches. Also remember not all turbines are the same - they may look like it, but once you pop the center cap off there are noticeable differences. And no that doesn't make one type better than another. Just means there are different casting molds. At which point it's hardly a big surprise of one has the Italian stamp and the other does not. For all you know they're actually both made over there.
      The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
      The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys!

I do know that earlier turbines are two tone (polished face, slate grey in the spokes) and later ones are all painted one colour (a light slivery colour). I think the other rims I have say made in USA, but I can't remember for sure and my car's in storage with the rims in the trunk... so I can't check this minute. Hopefully I can get to the bottom of this!
        ************************************************** ******************************
        1997 Crown Vic - Mostly rust free, moderate mileage. On the road... but far from perfect. **SOLD**

Comment

Well to shove a stick right in your spokes, there are actually two models of the polish+grey style turbines

Really tho, you're wasting your time. Run what you like, who cares where it was made and why, it's been 25 years now even for the newest models, any and all relevant reasoning no longer makes any difference.
          The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
          The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
            Well to shove a stick right in your spokes, there are actually two models of the polish+grey style turbines

Really tho, you're wasting your time. Run what you like, who cares where it was made and why, it's been 25 years now even for the newest models, any and all relevant reasoning no longer makes any difference.
            Oh I believe it. I wasn't saying that to say those are the ONLY two variations, just two variations I know of... plus now armed with that knowledge, I've probably looked at both and not even known it!

It's not a big deal really, but it's just something I noticed and wondered if there was a story or not. Sounding like there really isn't.

Comment

Working...
            X