Exterior Door Handle Actuator Rod Bushing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exterior Door Handle Actuator Rod Bushing

Does anybody know where to get a replacement for the little plastic bushing that snaps into the outside door handle that is pictured below? It is used to contain the door latch actuation rod. The one on my driver's door handle it partially broken and I believe partly responsible for having to lift up so high on the handle before the door will unlatch. I thought it might have been included in Dorman p/n 75450 ( http://www.dormanproducts.com/itemde...4&SEName=75450, but after looking at it in the parts store the two clips in that kit that might be candidates look more round whereas the door handle clip looks to be slotted a bit. I suppose I could just buy and aftermarket handle and just use the clip, but that seems like a waste. Any help is appreciated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Door Handle.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	1303271
    '89 XR7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '93 SC AOD

Will a door lock actuator bushing work? I've got a bunch of the twist lock type. Never had to replace that bushing so don't know what kind of space/clearance it needs, so the twist lock bushing may not work. Do not buy the Dormans, they are brittle plastic. I ended up buying a handful from a local fastener place.

Alex.

Comment

I'll have to look once I dig the car out of the snow, but I don't recall any of the other bushings in there looking the same as this thing. Worse comes to worst I'll just buy one of those cheap Chinese $5 door handles off of ebay and take the bushing out and throw the handle in the trash. I've looked through just about every clip and bushing catalog I can find and I can't find anything that really matches up. Maybe I'm just not using the right search words.
      '89 XR7 5 Speed
      '95 SC 5 Speed
      '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
      '93 SC AOD

Comment

Maybe not. Some of those auto plastics fall under catagories/names we don't typically use.
        Two things you can do, measure the hole in your existing handle. Measure the diameter of the rod that goes in it. No eyeballing the rod, as they come in 1/32" incriments.

There is no garantee the chinese handle will have the same bushing as what you need. Ford may have used a larger hole and thicker bushing, the chinese version might use a small hole and thin walled bushing. Just to prepare you justincase.

Alex.

Comment

Is this what you're looking for? Click image for larger version

Name:	m-219a38-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	2.8 KB
ID:	1278762

Here's the link from NPD: http://www.nationalpartsdepot.com/fl...g-79-93/#p=171

Matt

Comment

I'm not sure, but I might buy it to try. I was searching Mustang parts places since they used it across several models during the 80's, but I couldn't find anything. That clip looks similar to one of the clips in Dorman p/n 75450 (link posted above) that is used to attach the lock rod from the actuator to the latch. I can't find a view of the clip from the right angle to verify that though.

I did measure the door handle actuation rod this weekend and it is 5/32" in diameter.
            '89 XR7 5 Speed
            '95 SC 5 Speed
            '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
            '93 SC AOD

Comment

That dorman bundle is what Madd has shown, and I was talking about the twist lock ones (with the extension bar on them that lock onto the rod).

Alex.

Comment

Download this;

and have a flip through it. Door lock rod clips/bushings are in the body section.

Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
                  Download this;

and have a flip through it. Door lock rod clips/bushings are in the body section.

Alex.
                  Now THAT is a catalog. I am working my way through the entire thing lest the clip be listed in some oddball section. Lots of information to sort through in there. Thanks for the link.
                  '89 XR7 5 Speed
                  '95 SC 5 Speed
                  '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
                  '93 SC AOD

Comment

Auveco has been the catalog for stuff like that in the past. Another fastener catalog to get your hands on, not sure if they have a pdf version, is the Spae Naur catalog. I somehow managed to finally get one sent to me at work after years of trying. It is the size of a phone book.

Alex.

Comment

Working...
                    X