Rounded and Broken Bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rounded and Broken Bolts

What do you do when you have a bolt with a rounded off head? I am attempting to remove what's left of my battery tray, but the 2 U-bolts that hold it to the core support are so corroded that they just round out no matter what I use. I have a Craftsman bolt remover that usually works, but this time, it digs into the bolt and removes material.

Packman

I have a little pair of vice grips.
    1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LE SOLD

1972 Ford F100 Custom - 5.9 - Stock

2011 Ford Fusion SE - 2.5 - Stock

2018 Toyota Highlander XLE

Comment

A trip to Harbor Freight might be in order then. I had a small pair of vice grips that I broke in my youth. Never did replace them.

Packman

Comment

Real Vise-Grip's, although made in China now, are still 1st quality tools. Same thing with some of the better Craftsman variants.

For heads that are already rounded I suggest the cured jaw models.

Also I can't remember the "u-bolt" you are talking about but would it come out if you cut the head off with a cutting wheel?
        Last edited by jaywish; 06-27-2016, 11:02 AM.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

keep using smaller and smaller rounder sockets until you get all the material removed... or cut off. The one on my 88 was so far gone that the bracket was cheese too... I just bent it out of the way and put in a plastic tray.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

My apologies; U-nut, they clip to body panels and they have bolts that thread into them. That's a good suggestion; I will probably go the grinding route and drill out whatever I didn't get to.

Packman

Comment

Bought a set of these for the exact reason you need them. Worked perfect.
              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

^^^^That's what my Craftmans set is; but for a ratchet wrench. The smallest socket in that set fit tightly, but it ended up removing material and further rounded the bolt. A 7mm socket is too small unless I really pound it in there with a hammer. At this point, I think Mr. Grinder has to come out to play.

Comment

you gotta keep em separated...

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                  X