Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone here de-trimmed their '88-'91 Grand Marquis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone here de-trimmed their '88-'91 Grand Marquis?

While it will be a while before I consider repainting my car, I was wondering if anyone here has de-trimmed their '88-'91 MGM or has pictures of a de-trimmed car? I'd really like to clean up the exterior a bit; removing the trim and filling in the holes left behind seems like it would be a logical move. I would get my hands on the bumper filler panels from the same model year range CV and go from there.

Thoughts? Pictures?
    —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Yes... don't remember who though. The filler panels from a CV do not have the same grill dip as the MGM. You will have gaps on the bumper. The only real option to get it clean looking would be to cut the top section of the MGM and join to the side sections of the CV panel. Blend and paint. Most guys who have removed the trim, have left the filler and painted matched over the side strip to "hide" it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Hearsesrock has a Grand Marquis that was completely de-trimmed, I mean even the chrome moldings around the doors openings were removed. Personally I don't like it, as it looks "empty" - the body is just shaped in such a way that once the trim is removed you're looking at seams and spot welds and such, all of this can of course be covered up but it would take a large amount of work to accomplish it.

Also do remember that welding up holes in the body panels means new paint is needed afterwards, as the heat from the welder will burn off the factory paint in the vicinity of the hole. So you might as well plan on a paint job after the detrimming itself.
      The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
      The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

I'm mostly just thinking of removing the black trim and keeping the chrome.
        —John

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)

Comment

You'd still have to fill a couple of holes and grind down/off lots of studs. Paint will be needed.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I assumed as much. That's one reason I mentioned doing this concurrently with a new paint job. I have plenty of time to think it over.
            —John

Comment

But your car is so damn clean! Why fucker it all up? Dunno, I've been accused of being weird. I don't even want to add gauges to my interior because I like it tidy as it is. Long as I have oil pressure and it's running in the lower end of "normal" temp, the rest can piss off. Also have no trim on the car I find offensive, just a couple dings that bug me. To each his own I suppose, but certain things are worth the trouble, and some just ain't. Your mileage may vary.

Comment

Dear Panthers,

I've removed what crome I can from my 89 CP and would really like to lose the tailgate chrome but can't figure out how.

Donald

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                  But your car is so damn clean! Why fucker it all up? Dunno, I've been accused of being weird. I don't even want to add gauges to my interior because I like it tidy as it is. Long as I have oil pressure and it's running in the lower end of "normal" temp, the rest can piss off. Also have no trim on the car I find offensive, just a couple dings that bug me. To each his own I suppose, but certain things are worth the trouble, and some just ain't. Your mileage may vary.
                  Haha. I hear you. This will be a while down the road and I may just decide to keep all the trim and just restore it since it's all there anyway.

As far as being clean, it's definitely a 10-footer. That being said, all the clearcoat is still there. Sometimes I wonder what a buff might do to the existing paint job.
                  —John

Comment

I say clean up what you have and go from there.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Giraffe View Post
                      Haha. I hear you. This will be a while down the road and I may just decide to keep all the trim and just restore it since it's all there anyway.

As far as being clean, it's definitely a 10-footer. That being said, all the clearcoat is still there. Sometimes I wonder what a buff might do to the existing paint job.
                      My car is about the same. Paint is still pretty shiny even but up close there's dings and swirls and shit. Still one of the cleanest cars I've ever owned so i'm ok with it. It sits outside unfortunately so I won't go to great lengths until I have a garage or at least a driveway I can put it in with a cover on it. Bought a car cover but around here they'll tow your shit away if it's on the street with a cover. Fascists...

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                        ...Fascists...
                        Fuckin' fascists be everywhere man.
                        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Totalitarian MoFos

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Working...
                          X