86 GM, Opinions on vinyl top removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

86 GM, Opinions on vinyl top removal

Looking for some opinions on rather or not I should remove the vinyl top. I have found a few others on here that have done it.
    I Definitely like the slick top look, and I think a two tone color scheme would look good, but have not seen any that are two tone yet.
    Also I know it would save the roof later on, but at the same time, I don't wanna ruin the look as it is not a bad looking car as is.

Any input is appreciated

Your top looks pretty good. IMO slick tops belong on the base cars and back then the roof treatment was seen as an upgrade. Personally though, I don't like vinyl tops. Not that they don't look good it's just another f'in thing to maintain and an added expense should it need to be redone.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

If your top isn't torn up, I'd just keep it clean and conditioned for as long as possible. If there's damage we can't see, I'd look into removal and slick topping it.

Either way, both require an amount of body work. A slick top job wouldn't need any additional care once it's done except for regular exterior cleaning like the rest of the car.

Certain color combinations look decent with the landau roofs. Some not so much. On the Boxes, it's a car-by-car basis if I like it or not.

Anything after 1990 on Town Car or 1992 on Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis, hands down strong distaste for the dealer added packages. Those cars never came with a landau roof option from the factory and they definitely don't look good wearing them.

My Cars:
      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
      -1979 Ford LTD Landau (38K Miles) - New Cruiser

-1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
        ...Anything after 1990 on Town Car or 1992 on Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis, hands down strong distaste for the dealer added packages. Those cars never came with a landau roof option from the factory and they definitely don't look good wearing them.
        This. Oh, and the bit about top conditioning. I use that 3M Aerospace 303 jizz.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

It has a few minor cracks, but nothing serious. I can live with it for sure.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Comment

I ditched mine on my 82 which was starting to crack. The paint had also failed on the roof, which was another reason to proceed. No regrets.

Not the easiest thing to do, and as KW said above, it doesn't detract from the car if it's in decent shape.
            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

If your car will b.e kept in a garage, keep the vinyl top on it. Have it redone whenever it needs it. The pre-cut top material is available, which I have used. It keeps it looking like it did new.
              If it will be unwashed and outside, make it a slicktop. Just do it right or it will look horrible.

Comment

I think I will go slick top, because it will be kept under a carport sometimes but mostly outside. I normally do wash my vehicles regularly, but ive been known to let it slip for a while if I am working alot of overtime.. lol

I am going to think on the two tone, or paint match as best i can. Ill do some Photoshop work and see how it looks.

Comment

I'm a vinyl top guy. Poverty and government models had no top. I pretend to not be poor, and I'm not one of the federalies.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                  X